Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

teen driver

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 7 Replies
I have a 16 yr old who just past her 2nd segment of drivers training. What is the going rate 4 insurance of that age
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM

You'll have to call around and get some quotes. Good luck, that can turn into an all day thing.

leew8372
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My dads insurance went up about $40 a month or so, but after I transferred schools in 11th grade, I got much better grades, therefore was eligible for a good student discount. I can't remember how much it went down after the discount.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

That's great...hope things will work out with the driving...not sure about insurance info...

honeygram4
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I have recently had new drivers in my household. Geico and progressive look at the length of driving time only. My son got his license and added $100 a month to our policy. My daughter was added with her own car and we added $135 to our policy. We added another car and my son was assigned a car and total for 4 people and 4 cars was over $500 with progressive.

We had betterl luck with a local Nationwide rep who listed the new driver as an 'occasional' driver. It does take days to call and get online and get quotes. I made my DH do all that junk for me! Good luck and remember in six months or a year it will go down as the driver gaines experience and hopefully has no tickets!

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Call around and get quotes. It can vary.
CampClan
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Well I have a 17yo boy who only has his temps right now but I was quoted state minimum for the 2 of us is going to be about $1200 every 6 months. My insurance alone is only $75 a month.

orchardmoma
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:19 PM

You might have to take out a second mortgage!!! Haha!  First off,  be very thankful that  you have a girl. I would first talk with your insurance company because I know mine gives discounts for family members on one plan and it lowers my home insurance (I have USAA) and they take care of home and car!  Did she take a driving school? Some insurances lower premiums for that. Does she get good grades? For my son when he was 16, I paid an additional $150.00 a month on top of mine that was about  $114.00. We keep all our cars fully covered though so we pay a little extra. But I had a rule, driving was a privilege that could be taken away for bad grades, tickets, texting while driving, etc... Also my son needed to pay $50.00 monthly toward his insurance and all his gas so that meant he needed a job and needed to budget his money. It worked well for us. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)