Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Getting to School Safely: Carpool Questions to Ask

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

As a mom to four kids, two who head off to school every morning and two who are still home with me during the day and take gloriously long naps in the afternoon, I heavily rely on carpooling to get my big girls where they need to be every day.

It works out well that I’m “the taker” - taking the kids to school first thing in the morning, and my neighbor has been the “ the getting” - picking the kids up at the end of the day.

This has worked out beautifully, as I would consider myself an early risers, and then on the flip side it’s awesome to not have to wake the little boys from their afternoon naps when after school activities wrap up later in the day.

Carpooling is awesome - it saves time, money, and energy. Overall, it’s a very efficient way of sharing the daily load. But before I let me kids hop into just anybody’s car - I make sure to do a little due diligence, checking that my carpool counterpart is a safe fit for my family.

A few carpool questions I ask:

1, Do they have a valid drivers license and auto insurance?

2, Do they have enough seat belts, and working booster seats (both my girls still sit in boosters) for all the children in the vehicle?

3. Do they have a habit of using their phone while the car is in motion?

4. Will they be making extra stops or errands with my kids in the car?

5. Are they able to provide door-to-door service? Making sure my kids don’t walk across busy streets without adult supervision to get to where they need to go.

And I know, some of these questions sound like no-brainers. Of course they need a license, and of course they need seat belts. But in my experience, it’s always better to be safe than to be sorry! And when in doubt, ask your kids? Do they feel safe and secure in the carpool? It never hurts to ask - they’ll tell you exactly what goes on in the car.

Do you rely on carpooling to get your kids to school and after school activities? Any other safety precautions you can add to the list?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

We don't rely on anyone because I am way too nervous about anyone else driving my children around. Your list is awesome, especially the booster question. My biggest fear is someone not putting my children properly in the booster/harness properly.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

No, my dd takes the bus.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

We do not carpool. Since I have been unable to drive, hubby is staying home to transport her.

sukainah
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I take my one child to school.  The bus picks up my pre-k and I pick them both up after school.

dusky_rose
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I don't carpool, but thanks for the tips. :-)

Kaci
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM
My son took the bus
But good tips!
RobynS
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I'm right there with you. DS is older (8) and in a high-back booster--he can buckle himself just fine. Even then, it's still rare that he ever rides with anyone but me.

Quoting matt_sara_mom:

We don't rely on anyone because I am way too nervous about anyone else driving my children around. Your list is awesome, especially the booster question. My biggest fear is someone not putting my children properly in the booster/harness properly.

MichelleK41
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM

That's a great list, thanks for sharing!

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I don't carpool, Idk anyone who does.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM

We do not carpool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN