Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Would you sue if you were the family?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 27 Replies

The family of the woman who was killed when she fell out of the roller coaster at Six Flags this summer is sueing Six Flags.

From what I read when it  happened, the woman was not properly restrained in the ride. The story also said that she was heavyset. I wonder if that is why the restraint didn't fully engage.

Anyway, if you were the family, would you sue? 

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I would talk to a lawyer and go from there.

LgraceMe
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Not reading any more details than what you gave- yes, I would sue. These are thrill rides but go through rigorous procedures to be deemed 'safe.' Something went wrong if someone died. It is up to the staff to test the restraints on everyone before the train leaves the station (you know, when they come through & tug on the harness or belt). Sue. Yes. Def.

luvmybug
by Amanda on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I would. They are supposed to make sure you are properly restrained into the ride before letting it start. And if you can not be properly restrained, then they shouldn't allow you on.
1kidmomajm
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I read that she complained that she couldnt get it latched and no one came to check. If there was a clear sign about size and she did not meet that she could be at fault.  SOme rides, there is a person who tugs at each restraint to see if it is locked. But it would have to be determined in court if it is she or the people running the ride are responsible for securing size and retraint checks. 

MichelleMc
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM

From what the witnesses said. She had asked to be checked again. They refused. Everyone else clicked more than once, hers only once. They are at fault. Yes sue. 

Other times, like this mess at the Pittsburgh Zoo. The mother caused the death of her son, she clearly ignored the signs IN PLACE. Put her2 year old OVER and up on where she shouldn't have. He fell & was killed. Now she is sueing. I hope the zoo fights & wins. I am sad she lost her son, but she caused it, NOT the zoo. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Yes, they should sue!
abecee
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I'd talk to a lawyer

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Let's just say I would not blame them if they did. True, the woman should have had enough sense to know she was too big for the ride (I was obese a few years ago when we went to Six Flags in Colorado, when I realized I couldn't be restrained properly I knew that was it for me, no more rides), however that does not negate the fact that the park staff should have been aware that she was too big, plus that they did not take the time to double check to make sure she was fully restrained. So yes, they bear a responsibility for it.

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Probably not but I can't say for sure. What a tragedy :(.
MilfordMomma
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM

By the information you provided, yes.

Although I imagine it would be a very emotionally draining process. "Winning" the case would be bittersweet because no matter what you're nevre getting your loved one back.. So actually, couldn't tell you for sure.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)