Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My Daughters school work

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 14 Replies
Ok so my daughter is having a hard time with her school work. she is only in the first grade and last year she done great I don't understand what the problem is?? She is a smart girl it is so frustrating that when she gets Homework she sits there and acts like she is as dum as a ran over rat. I love her but this crap with her Homework is ripping us apart. Please if there is anyone with some advice please I am open at this point. I don't want My daughter to have to stress over Homework and I don't want our relationship on the the rocks. I love my little girl I just don't know what else to do?
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Do you sit at the table with her while she does it?
winchester70
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I always stay in the room when the kids are doing their homework; that way, if they don't understand something I am readily available.
MonicaP76
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Is she visibly frustrated with the homework, or is she visibly just giving you a hard time?

if she's visibly frustrated with her homework, maybe she's not as "smart" as you think she is. (Not meaning that to be mean). I'd have her evaluated by the school for a learning disability. 

If she is visibly just giving you a hard time, I'd make her sit somewhere, where there are no distractions, tell her to get it done and then you will check over it when she is finished. Tell her the faster she gets it done the faster she will be able to do the things she likes to do.

MonicaP76
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Or maybe another option would to be to give her an hour of down time to do what she likes as soon as she gets home, and then after the hour, on to homework.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Does she need glasses? This was my dd's problem at that age.

Many schools have an after school tutor/homework session. Many also don't advertise this because they don't want parents to use them as day care. But you might want to call the office and ask.

MrsMadDogMorgan
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Yes I have sat at the table with her. also have put her at her desk and told her when she is done to let me know then I will help.
MrsMadDogMorgan
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I think she tries to rush and get it done so she can go on and do something else. But I do like the ideas all you ladies have given me. her and I both have been so stressed I did not even think about these. Thank you ladies I am going to look into these.I would be so lost without my cafe moms
johnny4ever
Great First Day
Yesterday at 7:56 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:50 AM

My 10 year old acts this way sometimes also

johnny4ever
Great First Day
Yesterday at 7:56 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:51 AM

When my son has alot of homework I give him breaks in between

Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM
My kids give me a hard time doing HW too. It is such a hassle when they get home from school. DS9 argues with me about how it's done, but not so bad most days. DS7 releases all his energy when he gets home all over the place making annoying noises, laughs and fools around. He doesn't like to do it but if I have them.do it after dinner it's worse. Incentive to go play outside or play whatever helps them get it done.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)