Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

He was playing football while she was giving birth!

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 128 Replies

Yesterday professional football player Joe Flacco's wife gave birth to their second child. While she was at the hospital, he was at the football field playing a game.

I have seen some backlash from it online today. People saying that he should have chosen the birth of his child over a game.

What do you think? Do you think he should have been with his wife for the birth of their child?

Was your significant  other with you during the birth of  your children?

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM
19 moms liked this

In my opinion, he still has a job to do and even though it may only be a game to us, to him it is a job. A job he is required to perform. I'm sure he could have left if he wanted, but instead I think he put his personal situation aside and did his job.

ramita
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I think if he could've been there he would've been there. Luckily my DH was able to be with me. Now my dad he wasn't at my birth. He worked off away from home, and this was before cell phones. So by the time my mom got hold of him he had done driven almost 8 hour. No sense in him coming right back. So he got some sleep (per my mom's orders) and then came back.
mamav2215
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
4 moms liked this

it's a game to us. to him he's under contract for a job. if the two of them were okay with this... why does it matter? 

dads miss the birth all the time for various reasons... lots of them having nothing to do with work. 

Makhismom
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this
He should have been there with his wife. In my opinion if our children and I don't come first then we won't be there
Makhismom
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
4 moms liked this
However it doesn't matter what I think or anyone else, its what his wife thinks and feels about it.

Quoting Makhismom:

He should have been there with his wife. In my opinion if our children and I don't come first then we won't be there

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Just playing devils advocate but does it matter that it is his job and livelihood and not just a pick up game in the backyard?

Quoting Makhismom:

Makhismom
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Not to me. I put my family first and have given up a lot for them so I expect my husband to do the same. But like I said its my opinion and mine doesn't matter only his wife's because it is their marriage.
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I like that you have have strong convictions! That is very cool.

Quoting Makhismom:

Not to me. I put my family first and have given up a lot for them so I expect my husband to do the same. But like I said its my opinion and mine doesn't matter only his wife's because it is their marriage.

Jennyanne322
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM
5 moms liked this
It is his job/career to play football. If his wife was okay with this situation, then who are we to judge? She may not have even told him she was in labor till after the game. So he didn't mess up his mindset.
Makhismom
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you. Also I don't really think he would loose his job for leaving one game for that reason. If he did that would be one He'll of a lawsuit lol

Quoting Reina13:

I like that you have have strong convictions! That is very cool.

Quoting Makhismom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN