Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

cell phone

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 23 Replies
Does ur 16 yr old have an IPhone 5 ?? What do u think is a gd age 4 that type of phone
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

We don't own anything i. But nothing under 16 should have a smart phone or i anything. 16 just depends. Attitude? Good grades ( grades alone, especially if they come easy don't say big/good phone ), Do chores?, Do what they need to do?

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
3 moms liked this

When they get a job to pay for it and good grades. 

rhiannonaisling
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

When they get a job to pay for it and good grades. 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 10 no phone!

pendragon928
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

My son is 11 and he has a smartphone, it's not an i phone but it is a smartphone.  I added him to my plan for 5 dollars a billing cycle and he paid for the phone with his own money (it was on promotion and cost him $54.00).  I've disabled the texting and he can only call and/or receive calls from approved numbers (immediate family, emergency numbers, and his three best friends), I set all this up from my T-Mobile account website.  He does have access to the web because the phone has a data plan, but he's only allowed to have the phone when he's not in my direct supervision, so he gets to take it when he's walking the dog, when he's meeting his friends at the park around the block and if he goes to a friend's house.  He plays games on it (all approved free downloads) and I check his history after every time I allow him to take the phone with him.  It's more peice of mind for me when he's not in my direct care, I know  he can get hold of me if he needs me and I can get hold of him.  I would have gotten him a $19.99 basic no frills phone but he wanted a smart phone to play games on like his friends do so I made the deal with him that he had to pay for the actual phone.  He's had the same phone for two years and he treats it properly and there has been no breaking of the cell phone rules.  I think I'm teaching him how to be a responsible cell phone user.  In our area most of the kids age 10 and older have phones and they text theirfriends and take pictures of themselves and make videos on their phones, I figure I'll ease him into it the smart way and he won't feel like he's missing out on anything because technically it's his phone, he just doesn't have complete control over it yet.

JodyLane555
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM
my dd got a prepaid at 16. cheap phone but for her to reach me or vice versa when nec. i dont have a fancy phone so she wont unless she can pay for it
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM
No hes 11 yr old n our plan.
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:33 PM

My kids are 7 and 2 so this is a long way off. Once ds gets older (middle school/high school age) I may do a prepaid type phone for him. But if he wants anything fancy that is on him to buy. 

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
mine can have one when he works a job to pay for it COMPLETELY ALL by himself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Yeah, and I definitely feel that for a phone like this, they need to at least help pay for it.

Quoting MichelleMc:

We don't own anything i. But nothing under 16 should have a smart phone or i anything. 16 just depends. Attitude? Good grades ( grades alone, especially if they come easy don't say big/good phone ), Do chores?, Do what they need to do?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN