Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

The Little Extra Steps That Are Important Too

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

There are the well-planned big things we do in our family to alleviate the back-to-school stress a school year can bring. The sleeping in the clothes for school, making lunches in advance, scheduling homework time during soccer games...those big things help keep us organized and happy during the school year.

But sometimes it's the little things that we do every day that rescue me from complete parental failure the most often.

For example? I document quite a bit of information on my phone as backup when I'm certain to forget something important.

First - I keep a notepad item open with things like shoe sizes and lunch times. That way, if I spot a sale on shoes I can grab a pair for the kids without having to have them with me. (I'm sure once they stop growing a size every 6 months it will be easier to remember...but it's not now.) The lunch times are there so that once in awhile, when I have time, I can go eat with them without too much planning. I also keep their pins for the lunch account stored there along with the size of our air filters. I just find that the less information I try to "memorize" the better.

Second - I take photos of any important papers that end up in my hands. This is because I often forget to document the information in places like my calendar, or my phone. So, when the moment comes that I need that information? I'll have it on my phone in the "important" album. This is handy for everything from PTA deadlines to soccer game schedules.

The little step that has saved me the most grief? I have trained the kids to come home and immediately go through their backpacks to pull out anything I need to see. T-shirt order forms, book orders, newsletters, fundraiser information...all of that gets put on my desk before they can have snack or watch any TV. This means I don't have to dig for those things, they're just there waiting for me on my desk the next time I sit down. I learned this after several failed years of never seeing important papers from my oldest child as they ended up destroyed in his backpack.

And finally? I try not to hold on to my mistakes for too long. School years are long and full of homework and fundraisers and sporting events and classroom parties. I have never claimed to be perfect and I am bound to forget or mess something up at least once a grading cycle. I recognize this and I do what I can to avoid it, but when it happens? I don't beat myself up over it. It's also nice to have a peer group of women who can commiserate with your failures. Don't hang out with too many perfect people.

What are the little daily things you do to keep the order?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM

LOL...I'm so unorganized at the moment that I miss some things like T-shirt orders, but usually I just keep things in one place so I can go through them. And not miss too much lol

jessicasmom1
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:15 AM

oh I am not organized like this .... but thanks for some tips

matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I like to go through and weed out clothing every few months and make a list of what is needed and what size. Otherwise I am very disorganized about these things and I don't even have any in school right now!

Daily we add to the box of school work so that I can go through weekly and take some pictures.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM

These are good suggestions, especially about going through the packs as soon as they get home.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I have a routine I follow. It keeps everything in my life easy!

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I write Everything in my calendar, that way I don't forget anything. I go through my dd's backpack the minute we get home.

Leelee1008
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I am the wrong person to weigh in on this as I am HORRIBLE at organization right now... I am working on getting things back in order.

I do find a to do list helps.

TerriC
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I have a Mom calendar and I make sure each day is updated with things that are going on, project due dates etc.

RobynS
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I check their back packs the minute they get  home from school. Everything goes on my wall calendar AND on my planner that I tend to carry around with me. It's all highlighted to make it stand out and yet, still, DH has no idea what's going on. Ever. Hmmm...

Even though I write everything down, I still always have this nagging feeling that I'm going to forget something. I have mini panic attacks almost daily! LOL : /

funhappymom
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:56 PM

We have an afterschool routine, too. Backpacks come off and papers are removed, snacks are eaten and homework is done. Then if they have time, they can play or watch TV. Otherwise, we eat and head out the door for football practice, scouts or church.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)