Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why me??

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 18 Replies
My 8yr old dd is horrendous for me...like I mean screaming and yelling crying to the point of hyperventilating all because she's asked to finish her homework. This morning was the last straw. I asked her to buckle up in the car she refused to and told me no, so I had to get out of the car and buckle her up. She was mad I was doing that so she clamped her arms down so I couldn't buckle her up. I had to hold one arm outta the way just to buckle her up. She was soooo mad by the time we got to the bus stop which is literally right behind our apartment complex that she started wailing on my seat. Kicking it really heard. Thank god I was parked or we would have been in a ditch. I turned around and yelled which I try not to because it shows her she's affecting me. She continued to kick and yell at me so I pull a little bit of her hair as a diversion because she was in full blown outrage mode and she was acting like someone was killing her. Has anyone had to deal with a child who acts like this or am I the lucky one? She's been acting out towards me for about 4 years now. It's such a energy sucker when I have to get up early to get her ready for school and she acts like this. Her father and I are married and she has a 3yr old sister so it's not like she has a rough life. She has everything that she could want and my stepmom even gave her an iPod touch. Any ideas?
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tears30314
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Wow, o think its just that age. My nine yr old boy is the same way.
Sandiekd21
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

My 7 y/o DSD is that way.
But she's getting better.
It really does help to not let her see how her attitudes and fits are affecting me.

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Therapy.....likeyesterday 

nachomom85
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this

You are fighting the good fight.  I know tugging her hair was  a diversion, but consider getting out of the car and subjecting her to her own madness.  My kid hates when she throws a fit and it doesn't get to me.   Last week she threw her shoe at my head while we were driving.  I pulled over at a gas station, kept the car running and got out.  I stood by the car the entire time, the ac was on, she was never "alone" but the fact that she couldn't subject me to the screams and shoe throwing made her flip.  She screamed a while then tapped on the window and said "mommy, I'm done. I'm sorry."  I almost sh*t myself. 

othermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I would not have let it go on for this long. What do you do as punishment when she acts like this. Certain things I would step away and allow the fit, but kicking the seat while driving and stuff and the seat belt I would have serious consiquences for.

othermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

My suggestion is take away everything from her room until she can learn to behave better and she can earn her stuff back.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Hugs...hope things get better.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM

wow ... you have to keep fighting this. Do not give up.   Otherwise you're in for one hell of a ride later.  My DD is attitudy too but NEVER to that degree.  She has a bad temper but she knows I won't tolerate full on tantrums (she's 9 now) FOr the past 2 years I did a calendar with "good attitude rewards" we set a goal (like 7 days) and when she reached her goal with no bad attitude she got a reward.  Whenever she screwed a day up she'd get an X on the calendar + a punishment. 

Now everytime I'm not happy with her snootiness I take 15 minutes away from her bedtime.  She also gets punishments like cleaning the bathroom and the ultimate? No play date on weekend <-- I have not needed to go there yet, the threat is good enough for her because she knows I will act on it.

PrettyMomma24
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I have thought about taking all her stuff out too. H
She tells her grandma and her dad that I'm mean when in all reality im really now. I wouldn't have dared to act like that to my parents.

Quoting othermom:

My suggestion is take away everything from her room until she can learn to behave better and she can earn her stuff back.

PrettyMomma24
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Thank you so much ladies!! I'm going to try all these suggestions!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN