Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Baby shower invitation etiquette?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am cohosting a baby shower for my sister-in-law next month. I'm in charge of the invitations but my cohost, (my mom,) wants to include gift ideas like gift cards for restaurants in addition to where she is registered. I know that this is an etiquette no-no and if people want ideas they'll ask when they RSVP. Should I anger my mom and not include this or should I add it in and send tacky invitations? Is there a good way to include this? 

Edit: I'm not as opposed to listing her registries as I am suggesting specific gifts. The restaurant gift cards are so my brother can bring home dinner after baby.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Tell your mom it's tacky and people don't do that. I wouldn't send an invite like that.

2ArfarasMom
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I've seen invitations that have the place where she is registered included in the invitation. Not a list of gift ideas though, I wouldn't do that. I don't really see the issue with having the places she is registered on it that way people don't have to ask or wonder. Some may see it as tacky but I don't think it's a big deal
jackman
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Every baby shower invite I have ever got said where she was registered
emilysmom8
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Why would anyone buy her a gift card for a resturant for a baby shower? Tell your mom to just stick with the places she is registered at.

lovemyhoney
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I would put places she is registered.
Caera
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Personally, I don't care about etiquette. In my family, we do what we think will be the most helpful. When I threw my cousin-in-law's (my cousin's wife's) babyshower, I included a list of non-baby items she'd said she needed too.

Some people bought from her baby registry, and some people bought from her other list.

Everyone was happy.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Quoting emilysmom8:

Why would anyone buy her a gift card for a resturant for a baby shower? Tell your mom to just stick with the places she is registered at.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

To ease your mother I would put the following :  The mother is registered at X store, other suggestions are available, please contact *your mother's info*

Mommy2_two
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I would say Thank you for the tip, and then do what you want.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this would work. Or on the registry there is normally a place for them to put additional info. They could put in restaurant gift cards there or something? 

Quoting Jinxed8:

To ease your mother I would put the following :  The mother is registered at X store, other suggestions are available, please contact *your mother's info*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN