Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Let Your Kids Ride Without a Seatbelt?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 23 Replies

Parents Who Let Kids Ride Without Seat Belts Are Asking for Trouble

by Jeanne Sager

seat belt Are you one of those parents who lets their kid ride in the car without a seat belt? You know the ride I'm talking about. We're so close to home! What could go wrong? I don't want to deal with your bellyaching about the belt, so we're just going to coast on home.

You're out there. I know. Some 20 percent of parents fessed up to letting their kids ride seat belt-free for "short" trips.

Are you people crazy?

I know, I know, I sound like some judgmental harpy here.

But I have good reason. I was in a car crash at 16 less than two miles from my parents' house. Short trip, short schmip, you know what I'm saying?

You know why I'm here today? Because I was wearing my seat belt that day. When the car finally came to a rest, on its side, down a river bank, I was alive, hanging from that belt.

I was wearing my seat belt because my parents taught me to wear my seat belt. It was ingrained in my head that if you're in a moving vehicle, you are wearing a belt. I still remember that day like it was yesterday, and I remember automatically buckling myself in because ... that was what you did when you got in a car.

That split second, don't think about it move is what saved my life.

This is what floors me about the "eh, just on short trips" issue. It isn't just that 60 percent of car accidents happen within 10 minutes of home (see above regarding car accident less than two miles from my house). I can't understand why you'd split hairs on something this important, why give your child a chance to argue? Because if your kid is anything like mine, she sees an inch, and she takes a mile. She's a kid. That's what kids do.

No safety restraint on a quick trip home quickly becomes ammunition for "but you didn't make me do it thennnnnn." And what happens when your child is out of your sight? When they're in another car and you're not there to fight with them to put it on?

Is it a pain in the butt to have to climb in the backseat with kids who are whining about not being able to buckle themselves in? Yes. It is.

But I'd rather a pain in the butt today than a dead kid at 16, and I don't know a parent out there who would disagree.

Do you let your kids ride without a seat belt if the trip is going to be short? WHY?

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Randi02
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Never.

No one rides in my vehicle without a seatbelt, regardless of age. Won't wear one? You don't ride with me. Anyone not wearing a seatbelt is a danger to other passengers - both in my vehicle, and others on the road.

KimberlyMKasten
by New Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

NEVER!

She has never even asks to not put it on for shorts trips. She knows the car goes no where until it's on. If she is not buckled and it's usually when my husband is driving and he doesn't ask if she's buckled yet (which she does as soon as she gets in the car) and he starts driving she will say she's not buckled yet. We have her well trained.

My mom, and my two sister and I were in an accident when we were kids. We were only about 5ish miles from home. We got t-boned by someone that wasn't paying attention and ran a stop sign. We all had our seat belts on. I was in the front and my mom got hurt the worst. We were very lucky.

MommaH4
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

never ever, infact just yesterday my son was beeging me to let him ride without a seatbelt because his school is (just up the road) - it literally is but we were drving because it was POURING and i have a little one as well. it took a good five minutes sitting in our driveway to explain to him and for him to understand that just from here to there if we got in an accident he would need his seatbelt!

leksismommy
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I do not. Matter of fact I make everyone buckle up. Unless they are an adult, then if I get a ticket, they are paying for it.

It has happened too, I gave a coworker a ride to work every day, he was very large and had a hard time with the seat belt and knew that he would be paying for a ticket if I got one, and I did once. As soon as we drove off, he asked me to stop by an ATM and gave me $80 for a $75 ticket

mom4awesomekids
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

No never.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I would never.

catevincesmom
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Nope, & it's never been a problem.  My kids know it's for safety & always buckle up right away. 

KW1280
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
No
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

No way. NEVER.

MamaDurff
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I don't let anyone ride without a seatbelt, and I am not even the driver, lol. Adult or child, long or short trip- Doesn't matter. The -only- time that vehicle moves without everyone buckled is when hubby backs it up three feet to mow under it. :P

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN