Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Organize Your Child's Clothing in 3 Steps

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

Has this happened at your house? Your child is still trying to choose outfits and the bus is coming down the street, or you have an outfit picked for them and they put it on and the pants are too short.  It's hard to keep track of what fits and what doesn't, but adding three simple organizational tricks will definitely help with the morning mayhem that can ensue around 'what to wear'.

Has this happened at your house?  Your child is still trying to choose outfits and the bus is coming down the street, or you have an outfit picked for them and they put it on and the pants are too short.  It's hard to keep track of what fits and what doesn't, but adding three simple organizational tricks will definitely help with the morning mayhem that can ensue around 'what to weat'.

Start with three baskets to put things in - toss, pack away, donate.  The keep items will be returned to their proper places - I like to set them in piles on the bed or floor while we're sorting.  Get your kids involved if they are of the age that they can be helpful. 

Step One:  Start with any dresser drawers and sort the clothing into the three categories (toss, pack away, donate) .  If your children's drawers are like mine they probably need to be emptied and sorted.  Once you've sorted and decided what gets to return to the drawers, neatly put the clothing away.

Step Two: Sort through any hanging items and put them in the three piles - toss, pack away, donate.  Return the hanging clothes to the closet that is to be kept.  To keep things easy, sort by short sleeve and long sleeve or rainbow order if you want to be super organized.  Clothing for my kids would stay in rainbow order for about 2 seconds, but you can try this if you have older kids that would like this approach.

Step Three:  Keep a box or bin in the closet for outgrown clothing.  Label it ahead of time so everyone knows what's supposed to be in the box.  Once you've cleaned out the closet and drawers, if there's an article of clothing that no longer fits, put it in the outgrown box to help in the sorting process.  Once this box is filled, store it or donate or give away the clothing.

Taking a little time to sort clothing will ensure that outfits are a little easier to find and hopefully this will keep your mornings a little less chaotic.

What's your favorite kid's clothing storage trick?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

© iStockphoto cheyennezj

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Just do it often. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We went through his whole closet right before school started & anything that was getting too small or already was too small went into the give away pile. 

We will be doing it soon with all his fall/winter stuff that I just pulled out.

pootersmomi
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Ha! I wish.  DS is anti-organization.

jen113000
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
I go through their stuff often. I always do piles of what to keep and donate.
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I use totes for off season, everything is by size so that as they outgrow things I can find the right size when the next one hits that size. Then once we are done with the clothing it goes in the outgrown bin. Once that is full I go through and anything stained goes in the scrap bin for making memory quilts. Everything else get's pictures and sold off. 

Wish2Be
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I keep the last drawer in the dresser free for clothes to wear in the next season or following year :)

Wish2Be
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Quoting jen113000:

Me too ! Usually though I dont donate...I give it to a consignment shop and if they dont think they can sell it....they donate it :)

CafeMom Tickers
jen113000
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I've done consignment too before!

Quoting Wish2Be:

Quoting jen113000:

Me too ! Usually though I dont donate...I give it to a consignment shop and if they dont think they can sell it....they donate it :)

Kaci
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Ditto! lol

Quoting celestegood:

Just do it often. Lol
dusky_rose
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM

If pants start looking too short (or get holes in the knees), they go in the pile of pants that become shorts for summertime. He gets new jeans and pants in the next size up and its all good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)