Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Gateway to Fun: The After-School Routine

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

I decided to ask the kid who has actually gone back to school what we could do to make after school more productive and fun. Of course her answers included "GO TO THE PARK EVERYDAY" as well as "MAKE MILKSHAKES" and "ARTS AND CRAFTS ALL DAY LONG!" I'm not sure what I was expecting for an answer on such a question from an eight year old — but I certainly wasn't surprised. I'm willing to work in a few fun things here and there, assuming all the important stuff has been taken care of first. Rewards can include staying up late on Friday, a special mommy/daughter or daddy/daugther outing on a weeknight. Nothing fancy, but something that proves that family is what is most important to us.

While the park, milkshakes and crafts all sound fun, I've noticed that the best way to keep things running smoothly during the school year are the things she doesn't even notice. The things that have become routine, things that have to get done which allow the other more fun things to happen.

Addie has a schedule, she comes home and first thing she does is plop down to do her homework and take care of any paperwork or forms I need to fill out. Snacks are demanded, snacks are argued over ("No sweetheart, a cupcake is not a snack.") then she goes into the chore portion of the afternoon. Not too long ago we started a job chart, it changes daily depending on what needs to be done. Things hum along pretty well on our system. Once homework is done and chores are completed the rest of the afternoon is hers (or ours, if I feel like sharing.) "Go outside! BE FREE!" will be heavily suggested over the next few weeks before the weather turns so cold even the trees won't want to be outside. 

I've always subscribed to schedules, especially for babies and toddlers. Turns out schedules are just as important for keeping bigger little people on task and accountable for their own enjoyment as well. While she'd never come out and say it, I can tell she feels a sense of accomplishment after completing all her chores and homework. Not to mention the rush of knowing you can play, dream, color or dance  until dinnertime once those pesky responsibilities are out of the way.

There are times I really miss childhood.

What are your after school routines like?

Read about the Chevy Traverse at #TraverseTested

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM
After school we always go through book bags. Talk about the papers/homework. Have a snack and they play. Then it's dinner time then karate some nights for my oldest. After that it's homework time!
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:47 AM

School time is in the evenings here in my home so we eat supper after school time is over. We do our together work first and then he has independent or work that needs little guidance while I am cooking. Then it's time to eat. 

arpazia
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM
We don't have one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Sometimes if it's nice outside, I will let my son play on the playground for about 15 minutes before we go home and then he usually finishes eating his lunch (he would rather go to recess than eat), does his homework and then has time to play. We are starting cub scouts, so that may change it up some as well.

arpazia
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Obviously home work gets done, routine doesn't kick in until 5:30
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM

We go through book bags, snacks, homework and then play time

countrygirlkat
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

They come home and have a snack and play for about 30 minutes and then they start homework.

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM
My kids want to play with their friends right when they get home from school. I think time to play is important so I usually allow it after a quick chat about their day.
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I go through the backpack and sign what I need to, my dd has a snack and works on homework.

lalasmama2007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I usually go through my DD's backpack while she gets a drink and snack.  Afterwards she starts on homework while I make dinner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN