Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Need advise & opinions regarding homework

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 15 Replies

My DD is 9 years old and in grade 3, She is in a new school this year and we are getting used to the way things work.  She is also dyslexic so homework is harder on her than an average child.     I ask for her to do it as much as possible on her own but I don't trust her "time management skills"  with good reason.  So every night from 6h30pm to 7h00pm I sit with her and "supervise" her work, guide her through her task sheet.   Yesterday we had to work for 1 hour because she was very much behind on her stuff - and I garantee you she uber fails her vocabulary test tomorrow because we spend too much time on everything else.  She told me yesterday she'll get in trouble if her teacher finds out I'm helping her.

So here are my three questions :

1. At what age did you stop doing this with your children ?
  2. Should I just let her do it on her own and let her get in trouble for un-completed work ?  
  3. Or should I keep doing what I'm doing
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2_two
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this

As long as you are not GIVING her the answers or doing the work for her then her teacher should not have a problem with it. My DD who is in 6th grade has asked me for help on her technology homework a few times. i don't give her the answers I just explain what the teacher is wanting her to do.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I give my son 15 minutes in between each subject if he is overwelmed
splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

My son is in 2nd grade and I don't plan on helping him any time soon. I don't think it does much good for a child to turn in wrong/un-completed work. So we keep going through it & I keep re-explaining until he gets everything right.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I don't understand what the problem is. We are supposed to sit down with our kids and help them if needed. I never heard of getting in trouble for that. You might want to have a talk with the teacher.
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Quoting Janet:

I don't understand what the problem is. We are supposed to sit down with our kids and help them if needed. I never heard of getting in trouble for that. You might want to have a talk with the teacher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I would help with method but not give answers. I thought you were supposed to do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

That's what I do - I sit down with her and "over view" what she is doing.  Sometimes I help her read the instructions because she gets discouraged (her dyslexia makes any reading a struggle)  Tonight I have a meeting at the school and I hope to get some one on one time with the teacher ...

Quoting Janet:

timefor2
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Quoting Mommy2_two:

As long as you are not GIVING her the answers or doing the work for her then her teacher should not have a problem with it. My DD who is in 6th grade has asked me for help on her technology homework a few times. i don't give her the answers I just explain what the teacher is wanting her to do.

This is what I would do :)

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:56 AM

So i'm doing right !  Thanks for your input !! Every answer is appreciated

Quoting timefor2:

Quoting Mommy2_two:

This is what I would do :)

marge1964
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM

As a former teacher and now Para Professional Assistant Teacher, I have some questions for you. Does she have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan)? Does she see an OT at school - a specialized therapist to help with her dyslexia? Is she given any help by a Para Professional Assistant in the classroom? All of these plus her level of Dyslexia play a part in how much help she needs. I would schedule a conference with her teacher to discuss how she is doing in school and at home. Ask the teacher for advice on how she would like the homework to be completed.

The teachers I work with and I have modified some of the homework for students that have reading problems and other problems by giving them less to do. As the school year goes on we then increase how much we expect the students are to complete. By the end of April these students are usually able to complete all the work the other students are doing.

I hope this helps you at least a little bit. Good luck and I hope you and your dd can enjoy the school yr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN