Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Need advise & opinions regarding homework

Posted by   + Show Post

My DD is 9 years old and in grade 3, She is in a new school this year and we are getting used to the way things work.  She is also dyslexic so homework is harder on her than an average child.     I ask for her to do it as much as possible on her own but I don't trust her "time management skills"  with good reason.  So every night from 6h30pm to 7h00pm I sit with her and "supervise" her work, guide her through her task sheet.   Yesterday we had to work for 1 hour because she was very much behind on her stuff - and I garantee you she uber fails her vocabulary test tomorrow because we spend too much time on everything else.  She told me yesterday she'll get in trouble if her teacher finds out I'm helping her.

So here are my three questions :

1. At what age did you stop doing this with your children ?
  2. Should I just let her do it on her own and let her get in trouble for un-completed work ?  
  3. Or should I keep doing what I'm doing
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (11-15):
DanaG70
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I always thought that you were suppose to help with homework. Not do their homework for them, but help them. Well until they got to middle school anyways.

I used to check my kids homework and make sure they corrected anything they got wrong... Maybe I've been doing it all wrong...

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Quoting DanaG70:

I always thought that you were suppose to help with homework. Not do their homework for them, but help them. Well until they got to middle school anyways.

I used to check my kids homework and make sure they corrected anything they got wrong... Maybe I've been doing it all wrong...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KenneMaw
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

#3 - It isn't like she is lazy or isn't trying.  She is doing the best she can.   You are guding her and not doing the work, so I don't know why any teacher would have an issue with that.  If you just let her fail, that will only cause more issues and stress that are not necessary.  

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM
So you aren't supposed to help???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I agree.

Quoting KenneMaw:

#3 - It isn't like she is lazy or isn't trying.  She is doing the best she can.   You are guding her and not doing the work, so I don't know why any teacher would have an issue with that.  If you just let her fail, that will only cause more issues and stress that are not necessary.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN