Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As a parent, what would you do? (PIOG)

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 338 Replies
1 mom liked this

Im not sure how many of you have heard about this story, but over Labor Day weekend, 200-400 teens broke into the upstate home of a former NFL player and had a rave style party. The owner of the home was at his Florida home when he was alerted by his college aged son that a party was in progess at their home. His son discovered the party on twitter. The teens were posting updates and pictures on twitter and facebook about the party.

It is estimated that the teens did $20,000 in damage not including items that they stole from the home.

He created a website to reach out to the kids who did this and the community. He also identified the teens who were in attendance by posting screenshots of their status updates and pictures. On the website he extended an offer to the kids and parents to help make restitution by coming to his home and helping with the clean up. Only 1 parent showed up. 

NOW several of the parents are suing HIM. Their kids broke into his home. Had an illegal party that included alcohol and drugs, damaged his home and  stole his property and the parents of these teens want to sue him for posting something that they had already posted to social media.

Now put yourself in those parents shoes, how would you react?

Would you sue him or would you and your kid have taken him up on his offer and helped to clean up the damage?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM
123 moms liked this

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

LadyGlick
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM
24 moms liked this

It actually gave me chills when I read that they are suing him. Seriously? It is no wonder their kids behaved that way. I suppose I would have been the only parent to show up. What a bunch of idiots.

jemmyeve
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

My kid would have been there cleaning up.

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM
17 moms liked this

My kids would have VOLUNTEERED to help clean up, (With a little brow beating from me) and they would be required to ask if there was anything extra they could do to help.

But with parents like that, we can see why they broke into the house and stole from him in the first place.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM
9 moms liked this

OMG I would have my kid go there, clean up and take responsibility for their idiotic actions.  This party was 100% against the law on every single level.  What ever parents are sueing If I were the owner of the home, I would then press charges against the kids for reaking and entering & theft.

MustBNapTime
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
4 moms liked this

My kid would have been there for clean up & do any amount of work to make up for what they did, Yup, Id say my kid would just become his personal assistance of sorts....

SHAME on the parents sueing.... THAT is exactly what is wrong with society!

xXVICKYXx
by New Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting MichelleMc:

Pammi86
by Pamela on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM
4 moms liked this

Clearly these kids do this crap bc their parents are raising them wrong! My kid and myself would have been over there asap cleaning up and my child would be getting a job to pay back some damages!

3girlskdpreno
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree kids are far from being held accountable for their actions let alone scared of any consequences and thats why the kids are the way they are today! No control! No respect! With MAJOR attitude problems!

Quoting MichelleMc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)