Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

As a parent, what would you do? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Im not sure how many of you have heard about this story, but over Labor Day weekend, 200-400 teens broke into the upstate home of a former NFL player and had a rave style party. The owner of the home was at his Florida home when he was alerted by his college aged son that a party was in progess at their home. His son discovered the party on twitter. The teens were posting updates and pictures on twitter and facebook about the party.

It is estimated that the teens did $20,000 in damage not including items that they stole from the home.

He created a website to reach out to the kids who did this and the community. He also identified the teens who were in attendance by posting screenshots of their status updates and pictures. On the website he extended an offer to the kids and parents to help make restitution by coming to his home and helping with the clean up. Only 1 parent showed up. 

NOW several of the parents are suing HIM. Their kids broke into his home. Had an illegal party that included alcohol and drugs, damaged his home and  stole his property and the parents of these teens want to sue him for posting something that they had already posted to social media.

Now put yourself in those parents shoes, how would you react?

Would you sue him or would you and your kid have taken him up on his offer and helped to clean up the damage?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM

My kid would have been there cleaning it up.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would extremely embarrassed and would have my kids in there in a heartbeat to clean up and fix it.  I would hire him or her out to repair what was damaged.  The parents suing are ridiculous and poor excuses for parents to think that somehow their kids are in the right on this one.  To break in and vandalize property is serious and they are just condoning it.

MichelleMc
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

exactly! Kids now a days love to tell their parent things & their parents come a running. I couldn't even imagine what my mother would have done TO me, and what I would have done to fix it. I would have never done because of this! Suing? Are you kidding? Please! 

Quoting 3girlskdpreno:

I agree kids are far from being held accountable for their actions let alone scared of any consequences and thats why the kids are the way they are today! No control! No respect! With MAJOR attitude problems!

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

Michelle, Body Combat Addict 
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

Join us in the  Pennsylvania Moms group.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

pendragon928
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this

We'd have been on the doorstep genuflecting and kissing his feet for not pressing charges! Shame on these parents that are enabling their children to believe that what they did was no big deal, that it doesn't warrant an apology or the child taking responsibility for their actions and trying to make ammends.  I hope any judge that hears this case of parents suing the injured party laughs it out of his courttoom.   

CampClan
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM

My kid & I would have been there cleaning up!

jessie0221
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:25 PM
5 moms liked this

Maybe not pc to say but if those were my kids I would have beat them.  Literally.  And then I would have draggeed them there to fix their mess.  These overpriviledged gimme gimme gimme parents need to suck it up and grow the hell up.  How dare they?  Stop sheltering and covering for your selfish brats.  What the hell is wrong with you?  Seriously???

SweetPea2004
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM

My kid would have been dragged to clean up and apologize. That is unexceptable 

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
3 moms liked this

I would kick my childs ass. I would encourage charges to be pressed. They would not only go help clean the mess and repair the damage but be expected to pay restitution as well. 

The parents that are suing are screwed in the head.

MommySchatzi
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think these parents will win their case. I bet if they go to court to "sue" the judge will hold them accountable for their actions, unless the judge is a moron. 

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)