Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

As a parent, what would you do? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Im not sure how many of you have heard about this story, but over Labor Day weekend, 200-400 teens broke into the upstate home of a former NFL player and had a rave style party. The owner of the home was at his Florida home when he was alerted by his college aged son that a party was in progess at their home. His son discovered the party on twitter. The teens were posting updates and pictures on twitter and facebook about the party.

It is estimated that the teens did $20,000 in damage not including items that they stole from the home.

He created a website to reach out to the kids who did this and the community. He also identified the teens who were in attendance by posting screenshots of their status updates and pictures. On the website he extended an offer to the kids and parents to help make restitution by coming to his home and helping with the clean up. Only 1 parent showed up. 

NOW several of the parents are suing HIM. Their kids broke into his home. Had an illegal party that included alcohol and drugs, damaged his home and  stole his property and the parents of these teens want to sue him for posting something that they had already posted to social media.

Now put yourself in those parents shoes, how would you react?

Would you sue him or would you and your kid have taken him up on his offer and helped to clean up the damage?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (291-300):
bhejlik
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

In one of the article I read about this, the parents are upset that this may ruin the kids chances to get into a decent college. GOOD! No decent college should have you! There are consequences to actions. If you mess up this big you get a big consequence. ULG...so disgusting!

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

They will have no car and since the guy was decent about the whole thing to start I hope he press's charges and sues for damages and I hope the judge throws the biggest book he can at them all!

LuciBlue12
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:12 AM
Well, AFTER my child successfully had my foot removed from his or her ass, they would not only welcome the opportunity to help with clean up and pay this man back, but they would hope and pray that cps got to them very quickly afterwards. Because there would be nothing on earth that would stop me from beating the shit out of MY child and whatever other child they came close to me with.
jhslove
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I know, right? "Oh, this big bad man is ruining my kid's college chances".....

1) Your kid ruined his OWN college chances through his terrible decision-making and

2) Anyone who would do something like this needs to step out of the way and let someone more deserving have a shot at going to that college anyway.

And besides, for anyone who would think that it's in any way, shape or form okay to do this, it was just a matter of time until he or she made a horrible decision that would reflect poorly on him/herself. If it wasn't this, it would be something else.

Quoting bhejlik:

In one of the article I read about this, the parents are upset that this may ruin the kids chances to get into a decent college. GOOD! No decent college should have you! There are consequences to actions. If you mess up this big you get a big consequence. ULG...so disgusting!

Quoting Mrs_Nelson:

They will have no car and since the guy was decent about the whole thing to start I hope he press's charges and sues for damages and I hope the judge throws the biggest book he can at them all!

kitkatkattykat
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM

He hosted a "picnic/cleanup day" yesterday and only 3 kids showed. Two with an apology letter in hand. Such a shame.

http://www.news10.com/story/23495792/former-nfl-player-invites-300-teens-to-cleanup-damaged-home-only-three-show-up

AmosFarkle
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I hope the judge laughs.  And I'd be filing a counter-suit pronto!

atoney15
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

My kid(s) would have their butts over there the minute the offer was extended to help with the clean up and they would also be getting jobs (if they did not already have one) to help cover the cost of the damages. And helping with the clean up of the house and working and/or school would be the only times they saw the light of day in a very long time!

SirWilliamsLady
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

These parents are going to find out that when they sue someone they identify themselves and have a chance to be countersued. The NFL player seems to be taking this unusually calmly but he can go after any one or all of these kids to get damages and probably punitive damages and because of the common law aspect of Joint and Several Liability; (A designation of liability by which members of a group are either individually or mutually responsible to a party in whose favor a judgment has been awarded.) he can recover all his damages from just one of the culprits. If that person doesn't like paying everything for what everyone did then they can find and sue their co-conspiritors. The NFL player has nothing to worry about for reposting of the information that was already put on social media by the perpetrators.

RVTMommy
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM
My kid would've been in jail. Then after serving the time for the break in/vandalism/theft, they'd be there cleaning up. Bullshit
AriannaBadwolf
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I'd have dragged my boy down to the house by his ear. WTF is wrong with these parents coddling their kids? I mean SERIOUSLY!!! I'd have been livid to see crap like that on twitter, fb or whatever else, BUT considering it had ALREADY been posted, there isn't anything wrong with reposting it to call the kids out and have them clean up their mess.

Also, the parents AND kids need to be educated about social media/the internet. Once you put it up, its there FOR FREAKING EVER.

These are the kids that are in charge of the future? We are SO screwed.

aquinn3
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Those parents should be ashamed of themselves and their children. My child would definitely be there helping clean up the damage until it was done. I'd be there apologizing the entire time for the stupidity of my kid and their friends. It's infuriating that there are so many kids like this these days. The fact that they broke into the house in the first place is discusting!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)