Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

As a parent, what would you do? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Im not sure how many of you have heard about this story, but over Labor Day weekend, 200-400 teens broke into the upstate home of a former NFL player and had a rave style party. The owner of the home was at his Florida home when he was alerted by his college aged son that a party was in progess at their home. His son discovered the party on twitter. The teens were posting updates and pictures on twitter and facebook about the party.

It is estimated that the teens did $20,000 in damage not including items that they stole from the home.

He created a website to reach out to the kids who did this and the community. He also identified the teens who were in attendance by posting screenshots of their status updates and pictures. On the website he extended an offer to the kids and parents to help make restitution by coming to his home and helping with the clean up. Only 1 parent showed up. 

NOW several of the parents are suing HIM. Their kids broke into his home. Had an illegal party that included alcohol and drugs, damaged his home and  stole his property and the parents of these teens want to sue him for posting something that they had already posted to social media.

Now put yourself in those parents shoes, how would you react?

Would you sue him or would you and your kid have taken him up on his offer and helped to clean up the damage?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (301-310):
reignbough1973
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this

My kid would be dead meat and would be turning over their paychecks to the guy (or getting a job if they didn't already have one). AND they'd have to go help clean up and make repairs. AND they'd have to apologize to him face to face. For starters... I'm sure I'd think of some other ways to punish them as well. :0)

tamullen607
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My kid or kids would be paying for damages, cleaning up, and what ever else needed to be done. Once they were done with that, they would still be in MAJOR trouble with me!

buterflyz
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM

My kids would help clean the mess, not me, just them. And I would have been on the phones to other parents to make sure they held their kids accountable too.

Circling the drain when we don't hold our teens accountable for their actions.

captainjack
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

My kids would help him clean up the mess they made.

MOMTK2000
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I agree with what everyone said, some parents sorry to say are wimps when it comes to their children, if the parents don't care, then what do you expect from the kids, they need to take responsiblity for their kids actions and not bail them out every time their kids get into to trouble, thats enabling, not helping their kids. its sad to me how the world is turning out and its very scary too. its starts with the parents, too many parents spoil their kids, they don't seem  to give them structure in life, and also do not set a good example. i feel the parents and the kids need to take responsiblity and clean up and not sue thats ridiculous, truth be known the owner of the home should be the one suing, not the other way around.

Frog74
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM
The home owner needs to turn the video evidence over to police, file criminal charges, and sue each and every one of those parents for 100k each. Things like this infuriate me.
fionaleslie
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My child would have helped clean up and would work to pay him back money, and then I'd kill her! Seriously, the nerve of these parents makes you understand why they raised such horrible kids. They should be so embarrassed.

fionaleslie
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

By the way, he didn't even identify the kids. He just posted  screenshots of their OWN Twitter posts about the party and how wild it was. If the kids are so dumb they post about what they did wrong on social media (which is public), that's their own problem. I don't see how the parents have a case.

amnesiacaj
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

This - 100%

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

Flobrooks
by New Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Mine would have helped with the clean up and use money he earned to help pay the restitution, even if he claimed to not have broken or stolen anything, he was there and took part.  Parents are responsible for what their kids do.  Now the homeowner has a good case. Everyone who sued is guilty and should have the full weight of the law come crashing down on their heads. The very idea of so called parents suing a victim, makes my blood boil. The parents whould all be charged with accessory after the fact and filing false charges.  Maybe they should serve a few nights in county lock up as well.  It might inspire them to work a little harder to stear their precious "honey buns"  away from a life of crime. These entitled, over protected adolescent criminals should be put in training schools to get them away from sorry, to lenient parents, if for no other reason. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)