Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

As a parent, what would you do? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Im not sure how many of you have heard about this story, but over Labor Day weekend, 200-400 teens broke into the upstate home of a former NFL player and had a rave style party. The owner of the home was at his Florida home when he was alerted by his college aged son that a party was in progess at their home. His son discovered the party on twitter. The teens were posting updates and pictures on twitter and facebook about the party.

It is estimated that the teens did $20,000 in damage not including items that they stole from the home.

He created a website to reach out to the kids who did this and the community. He also identified the teens who were in attendance by posting screenshots of their status updates and pictures. On the website he extended an offer to the kids and parents to help make restitution by coming to his home and helping with the clean up. Only 1 parent showed up. 

NOW several of the parents are suing HIM. Their kids broke into his home. Had an illegal party that included alcohol and drugs, damaged his home and  stole his property and the parents of these teens want to sue him for posting something that they had already posted to social media.

Now put yourself in those parents shoes, how would you react?

Would you sue him or would you and your kid have taken him up on his offer and helped to clean up the damage?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (31-40):
briellesmomma
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM
7 moms liked this
My mother was low income, spanked my ass and extremely educated and you would never catch me or any of my siblings wrecking someone's property or even being near it. So, to me, thats a cop out. Discipline is discipline. If you're not disciplining your kid, you're doing your child an injustice. No matter what discipline it is.

Oh and the "you" is general.

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

Great, now we're going to have all the "precious snowflake," "parents shouldn't try to be their kid's friend," "these kids must not have been spanked," "kids these days have no respect," comments and blah blah blah.

I agree 1000% that the parents that are suing are terrible parents. I see parents like that all the time and it makes me sick.

My two cents is that the parents I've seen who act that way are usually less educted, lower income, spanking parents.

Parents who try to guide gently and lovingly, without shaming their children for misbehavior, are not the type that would let their kids get away with something that selfish and irresponsible.

That's my response to all the bs about kids these days.

1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM
4 moms liked this

I would have dragged my son at the crack of dawn to that house by his ear and kicked his rump all day to get it cleaned up. Would have shone when my boy was done with it. Cause this Momma don't play that way. He also would have been cutting the grass or some kind of yard work every weekend for a year.... for free.... at that mans house or somewhere. THEN he would be spending time at a homeless shelter handing out his possessions to kids who actually deserve them.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM

This

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

KW1280
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Like times 10000000000

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM
My kids ass would be grass. The dude could have ds arrested or make him work for him for weeks. IDC. I'll be damned if my ds behaves like that and gets away with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Razzle_Dazzle1
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I would be whipping my kids' asses and dragging them by the hair to the house and making them clean up.

CafeMom Tickers

Momtogirls0823
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I would have had my kid over there helping clean up.  There is no way in h*** I'd be suing him!  That's ridiculous!  

MamaMoopsie
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Not only would we have taken him up on his offer to clean up but my kid would be losing everything! No cell phone, no car, no iPod, no anything. I would be stuck on them and reminding them of their mistake every chance and they'd have to find a way to pay back a HUGE portion of the damage done, whether they had actually done the damage or not. It doesn't matter. They were there.

I wouldn't dream of SUING someone for reposting something my child had posted to brag about them doing something illegal when he was just trying to make things right.

jhslove
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

There parents who are suing him because he gave their children's names and posted photos on the website......do they not realize that these moron kids had already put these photos online themselves?!

Maybe if these parents spent half as much time actually parenting as they're willing to waste on pointless and frivolous lawsuits, their kids wouldn't be pulling this kind of asshattery in the first place.

Kaya529
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Not only would my child be there cleaning,up after the party but I would be offering to be his clean up crew for the next year.

I cannot believe the audacity of the parents suing him. It explains why their kids thought this would be okay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN