Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As a parent, what would you do? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

Im not sure how many of you have heard about this story, but over Labor Day weekend, 200-400 teens broke into the upstate home of a former NFL player and had a rave style party. The owner of the home was at his Florida home when he was alerted by his college aged son that a party was in progess at their home. His son discovered the party on twitter. The teens were posting updates and pictures on twitter and facebook about the party.

It is estimated that the teens did $20,000 in damage not including items that they stole from the home.

He created a website to reach out to the kids who did this and the community. He also identified the teens who were in attendance by posting screenshots of their status updates and pictures. On the website he extended an offer to the kids and parents to help make restitution by coming to his home and helping with the clean up. Only 1 parent showed up. 

NOW several of the parents are suing HIM. Their kids broke into his home. Had an illegal party that included alcohol and drugs, damaged his home and  stole his property and the parents of these teens want to sue him for posting something that they had already posted to social media.

Now put yourself in those parents shoes, how would you react?

Would you sue him or would you and your kid have taken him up on his offer and helped to clean up the damage?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (321-330):
shaiorta
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

If I had to drag my kids by their Ears they would be going to help clean up! and then the would be going back Every Weekend for the next 6 months to a year to take care of his gardening house cleaning whatever chores he could think up! Sue Him? Whaaaaaat? No!

VintageWife
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I'd be the first one there with my kid making them clean from sun up to sun down or beyond! My dh and I were shocked to hear about this. Parents are seriousy mad that their child's name and status are in a public place that they already had posted in a public place? Suing someone? Yeah, they aren't just trying to get ahold of his money, huh? Shocking!!!

Nickydmom
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My kid would have been there cleaning up and I would have given all of the money we have saved for Christmas presents would have gone to pay for damages.

heather77g
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I would have made my kids go and help fix the damages to his property. There is no way it was his fault for this happening, the kids were being punks and should be punished for their actions. The parents are being big dumbasses on this situation and needs to stand up and take responsibility for what their children did. 

Disapline the child and repair the damages is the parents and childs responsability.

MotherOfPurpose
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Mine would be over there cleaning up and either getting a job or if not old enough either using some saved money or giving up an activity or two or three and that money would instead be used to pay damages. If the suing parents want to GO THERE he should press charges. I would make this an ALL or Nothing deal them maybe enough of the parents that aren't A_HOLES can put some peer pressure on the ones that are it not as if there isn't EVIDENCE..

jyurina
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM

My kids would be cleaning up, and doing yard work for their natural lives to pay for damages. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I would have them help clean up.

hammack_linda
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM
That wouldn't happen at all, becau if NEVER let my kid get that out of control and if by chance something did happen like that, they would not see daylight for at least a year (id take to homeschooling) ABSOLUTELY NOT. I would be there ON spot with my kid and AS MANY OF HER FRIENDS as I could get to clean up. That is EXTREMELY RIDICULOUS.
deeredone2
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Totally agree with you.  If they want to sue him, then he should press charges  for breaking and entering, not to mention theft, against everyone that was there.  These parents are looking for some quick money and no judge in their right mind would even let these cases go to trial. 

Quoting jemmyeve:

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

"I ♥ my Marine"

momtodab
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM
This

Quoting MichelleMc:

HANDS DOWN I would have my kids there in a heartbeat to fix the situation. My kid would have been already offering to help, would have found a way to pay & work it off, there would be no question. I am sick & tired of these parents covering for their kids!!!! This is why kids do these things. Mommy & daddy bail them out, cover for them, and then turn around & sue him for what? Posting the truth? Posting what the kids put all over social media which they made public?!?!?! I am so sick of these type of parents! That is what is wrong with society!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)