Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any ideas or thoughts on how to......

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter just turned 3 Aug 31st! She is very smart and I wanna keep nurturing that, We always did our ABC's 123's, she knows A-Z verbally and Visibly! She can count to 20 and can tell me what the numbers are up to 16. But for some reason I have been trying to get her to write her letters and I cant get her to sit a focus on this.  I went out and bought a bunch of different books on tracing the letters etc.... Its not that she cant use the pencil, she draws her shapes, square, circle, triangle, rectangle, she also draws pictures too, as well as she can color in the lines! So our only problem is now that its time to write our letters she wont do it! Any fun creative ways or any advice on how to get her to focus and try to do them would be great! Thank You

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

She may not be quite ready yet.  DD turned 3 9/1 and she's in pre-school.  She knows her ABC's, how to count to 20, colors, shapes and even identifying her name.  She is just starting to sit and write letters but her attention span is short.  I do little bursts of it with her just to familiarize her with it.

3girlskdpreno
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yeah maybe your right! It just seems like shes getting bored with what we have been doing "kinda like uhh this is to easy type bored" ya know! Im a stay at home mom cause I also have a 1 1/2 year old and a 2 month old daycare would be a crazy amount of money lol! so I try and do as much with them at home to prepare them ya know! thank you for that point because I really didnt think of that!

She may not be quite ready yet.  DD turned 3 9/1 and she's in pre-school.  She knows her ABC's, how to count to 20, colors, shapes and even identifying her name.  She is just starting to sit and write letters but her attention span is short.  I do little bursts of it with her just to familiarize her with it.

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM

No problem!  They really do have a short attention span so when I'm with DD, I try to teach without teaching by playing games or using what she likes or is watching as part of it. 

Quoting 3girlskdpreno:

Yeah maybe your right! It just seems like shes getting bored with what we have been doing "kinda like uhh this is to easy type bored" ya know! Im a stay at home mom cause I also have a 1 1/2 year old and a 2 month old daycare would be a crazy amount of money lol! so I try and do as much with them at home to prepare them ya know! thank you for that point because I really didnt think of that!

3girlskdpreno
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I guess Ill have to do it more like games then doing our time for school 1/2 hour! LOL(we have breakfast, 20min t.v time, toy room game time,then school time I even pack her a lunch then we do lunch then nap time from 1:00 to 3:00pm all 3 girls go down at that point, then we do outside time dinner time and shower time)we arnt totally routine but I kinda say on same time wave just to keep it easier for myself hubby etc. As well as I just dont want her to loose the enjoyment in it as well as its part of our daily morning routine I was also getting my other dd to enjoy it and be a part of it since she dosent morning nap anymore.
Quoting CorpCityGrl:

No problem!  They really do have a short attention span so when I'm with DD, I try to teach without teaching by playing games or using what she likes or is watching as part of it. 

Quoting 3girlskdpreno:

famiglia_bella
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I had my kids shape the letters with play-doh. I'd call them out and then they'd race to make it.  It made them excited to write too.

3girlskdpreno
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

thats a cool idea

Quoting famiglia_bella:

I had my kids shape the letters with play-doh. I'd call them out and then they'd race to make it.  It made them excited to write too.

famiglia_bella
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I just read your schedule.  That helps so much, especially with multiple litte ones.  If you have a Pinterest account, you can get a lot of ideas there on ways to keep up her interest, fun and short little games or activities that won't strain her attention span. :)

Quoting 3girlskdpreno:

thats a cool idea

Quoting famiglia_bella:

3girlskdpreno
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I find it a bit easier to have a routine! They each in their own way are growing out of it and into what I guess I have to make a new one LOL! I just hate to take away the pretend "school time" attention span or not cause she soon will be in school ya know! I even make lunch in lunch boxes for the 2 girls! They love it after breakfast we pack our lunch and they really like to pick the snack and juice box LOL!  I feel its helps her a lot too! Like I said for her age she is so smart and I dont wanna waste her time with not teaching her I feel its my duty, if that make sense! Thats why Im looking for Ideas. I do have a pintrest account but for some reason I get so frustrated with it lmbo!

Quoting famiglia_bella:

I just read your schedule.  That helps so much, especially with multiple litte ones.  If you have a Pinterest account, you can get a lot of ideas there on ways to keep up her interest, fun and short little games or activities that won't strain her attention span. :)

Quoting 3girlskdpreno:

thats a cool idea

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM
What a great idea!

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)