Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!

Posted by   + Show Post

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
kcangel63
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
4 moms liked this
Everyone is always crying for equality.

Here it is.
TheDoctorsWife
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I completely agree with you

Quoting MidwestMama55:

I think everyone should have to wait in line, or use a FastPass. Same rules for everyone, with one exception - things like Make a Wish for children dying of terminal diseases. In that case, i'm fine with that child and thier family skipping the line. Otherwise.... sorry.  Going to a theme park and having a "magical day" is not a right.

MelanieMans
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Assholes gotta ruin it for everyone else.
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I think its bull snot! 2 of my kids can not stand up for more than 15 mins due to low muscle tone. they both wear braces on their feet. ppl shouldnt do what they do.
Aslen
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I say if people wouldn't abuse the system, there wouldn't be a need to do away with this policy. Instead of blaming Disney, why not go after the groups and people who abused the system? You still get to "cut" the line, they give you a time to return, like a fastpass.

Dragon.Momma86
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I agree with the other pp. They shouldn't get any special treatment. They are just like everyone else. No special treatment.
Mom2jngnc
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I see why they doing it, but I think a better solution would be to further limit the # of people that can wait with the person with the disability. 

We went April of 2012, and I knew nothing of the pass. My then 4 yr old had gone to the Dr's for an ear infection, and in coversation the Dr told me she would have the desk write the note for my autistic son. 

We did get it. 
However, we were a family of 9, only 6 people total could use the pass, which I thought was HIGH.
Many rides he went with a sibling, or one of the adults, and the rest of us waited in regular lines.
He was older, we waited in regular lines for the tea cups and any ride he didn't want to go on.

He went to our local 6 flags that May with school for physics day, and he said it was nuts. He went on all of 3 rides, he couldn't do the waiting. That cost me $75..... *sigh* 

romalove
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Disney made these changes for a variety of reasons, abuse only being one of them.

Going to Disney was a big deal for many disabled people, and Disney was great about accommodating special needs.  One of my most favorite Disney memories was, after the show at the castle, watching Mickey and Goofy come down and specially greet a child on life support in a special chair.  Ordinarily they stand with a handler and you stand on a line to one at a time go see them and get a pic and an autograph for a moment, it's very choreographed.  This was impromptu and very caring, they interacted with the child, kissed them, and I was impressed.

But the umbrella of what "special needs" is has gotten so large, and so many people would not just be using a GAC for themself but for their entire family of 6, that the lines for FastPass (which the GAC users use) could be as long or longer than the regular lines at times.

Further, it is about to get worse, as MagicBands and FastPass+ are making their debut, and there will be much fewer FastPasses available at the park, and more people using those lines than before.

Twix.Leigh
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I'm not sure why SN gets special treatment. Why do they get to skip lines, this teaches them what? That because their SN they will get their way and their above us non SN? I think it's only fair they have to wait like the rest of us. I think it should be like taking young children. If they can't handle the wait or line up, maybe they should be somewhere they can handle? Not to say they shouldn't get to go, or shouldn't be there. Just my thought.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I think they should offer a pass for those that are disabled. That pass should last their lifetime, unless the disablity is only a temporary thing. Then anytime they go there they should be able to use that pass. 

I think it's quite sad that people abuse things like this.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)