Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!

Posted by   + Show Post

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (161-170):
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I agree.

Quoting JOYFULMOM76:

First, I think it is sad that people abuse situations that are meant to do good. Second, I think if someone is able to go on the ride then they should be treated as everyone else. I think they being handicapped, we all know that they might need more time to get on and off, they might need someone to be with them, these are the things that we need to be kind people to one another, but when they get on the ride doesnt really affect their handicap does it? It's getting on and off and being able to handle the ride that is important(I would think).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM
I do think as long as a shorter wait time is available its ok to get rid of disability passes.

Quoting alisheamonet33:

so buy a fast pass problem solved !

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

I think its bull snot! 2 of my kids can not stand up for more than 15 mins due to low muscle tone. they both wear braces on their feet. ppl shouldnt do what they do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I never understood why they got to line jump anyway.

Bookwormy
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I have never hired anyone & would not & do not need a shortened wait & have not seeked one out. I think it depends on the disability. Sometimes the invisable disabilities need the shortest waits, like ASD. Sitting in a wheelchair is seated.
Mommy2_two
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

People with the passes for the disabled were posting adds on CL and ppl would pay them a good sum to have them go to the park with them and use the pass. It is not like they are not offering another option you just do the fast pass deal and it is ALMOST the same thing. Disney is just trying to make it fair for everyone.

Q-tsmom
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We know a man who had MS-  his condition only allowed him four to six hours of  park time before he physcially can't go on- but he wanted to take his girls to Disneyland.  So he pays the same amount as everyone else(which incidentally is outrageous these days)- but get's to ride two- or three rides?   The abuse of the system is terrible- but would you really begrudge him a shorter wait because others make bad choices.

I can tell you- he would gladly wait in 2 hour lines for you if you could take his debilitating disease away for him for just one day.

Quoting AspensMama1537:

Honestly I never understood why they got to jump to the front of the line in the first place. I never minded, but I never understood it.

autodidact
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I think it's unfair for Disney to get the blame for ending a nice policy that some asshats ruined. 

2004MAMA715
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I don't think its right they got to line jump to begin with. We teach our children to treat disabled people the same as we would treat anyone else so why should they get special privileges? Isn't that the opposite of what their families ask from us? Or do they want to be treated different only when it benefits them?
nikkikry
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:57 PM

We're going to Disney next year and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. I already know I'm going to need to rent a wheelchair while I'm there, but can you use the chair while waiting in line and then leave it while you're on the ride?

I haven't been there since I was in 3rd grade and I ended up getting carried piggy back by my Grandpa because the pain was so bad from walking all day I was in tears. Don't know why we didn't rent a wheelchair for me then. It was a miserable experience. I really hope next years trip is much better for us and our kids.

Krystal.Ingalls
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

How is he supposed to learn to cope if he doesn't get the chance to try?  It's ok for your typical kids to go to amusement parks, but my son can't because it's an inconvenience for you?  When he begs to go am I supposed to say "Sorry sweetie...I don't believe in you and don't think you can handle it.  And your a burden to those who pay (just like we did) to get in."  I don't think so.  "This child" is my son and has every right to go to an amusement park if he wants to.  If you don't like it then maybe you're the one that has no business going.

Quoting MidwestMama55:

OK, I imagined. This child has no business being in an amusement park then, period. He is not able.  Bringing him there is first of all not fair to the child, and second, not fair to everyone else who has paid top dollar as well to be there.

Quoting Krystal.Ingalls:

Imagine this...you are standing in line with your 5 year old (who is mentally about 3).  He gets overwhelmed by the people and he darts off.  You also have a 3 year old by the hand who's little legs can't run fast enough to catch him.  So, you pick her up and run after the 5 year old to keep him safe.  Since you got out of line, no one is going to let you back in...so you go back to the end.  This time, he gets overstimulated by the lights and sounds on the next ride over.  Which leads to a meltdown...screaming, crying, falling out on the ground, etc.  He can't help any of these things.  When his senses get overloaded it physically hurts him.  Now, you have to go somewhere quiet to calm him down.  When he's finally calm you go back to the line because it's the only ride he really wants to be able to ride.  He tries his best and gets almost there when suddenly he panics when when he sees someone in a costume and you have to go catch him again.  You finally give up and go home with a very, very sad little boy because he couldn't overcome his challenges to ride the cool ride he saw on tv.  With the pass they used to offer most of this could have been avoided.  These people aren't cutting in line like you think.  They are getting a time to come back and then going to wait somewhere calmer.  Sure, it gets them out of waiting in line...but they are still waiting just like you.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)