Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!

Posted by   + Show Post

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (171-180):
Q-tsmom
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Remember-   out of 36 rides in disneyland- I would say about  6 of them have ANY G-forces in play.   The "body jolting" rides are hardly the issue.   Disney California's adventure lines do accomodate wheelchairs-so the passes there have you go in line with the rest (or for really hilly rides lines line the new car's rollercoaster- you go check in- get a time and come back at the two hour interval as if you were in the regular line)     Disneyland rides have metal turnstiles and skinny wait lines so wheelchairs don't fit.   

Quoting LgraceMe:

I agree! I mean, if you're not too disabled to ride a body jolting, intense throw-about of G-forces, why can't you sit in your wheel chair while you wait?

Quoting AspensMama1537:

Honestly I never understood why they got to jump to the front of the line in the first place. I never minded, but I never understood it.

JMCorbin84
by New Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I never really understood the reasoning for the handicapped to jump the line myself, if your child is physically unable to stand for long periods then put them in a stroller or wheelchair. Seems kind of crazy to go to a place like Disneyland that is so HUGE if your child can't even walk around it or stand for any long period of time, how do you expect them to make it from ride to ride? I think the Fast Pass is a great idea for those families, it's accessible to everyone, you come back at a pre-determined time and the line is much shorter. You can easily plan an entire day around these rides and not have to wait for longer than 10 mins in any line. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I'm fine with it

ilovemykids323
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Quoting Cozie_Sisika458:

Sorry everyone pays the same to get it these places and I think everyone should have the same rules to follow. Just because someone has a disability or SN kids don't mean my child should be punished for not being that. And dont most things get screwed up because of a few who abuse it? What don't everyone put PA people in the same category whether they abuse it or not?

this

robsgurl_23
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM

that is what happens when people abuse the system...at least will stop it from happening..at least you an dp fastpass and you can jump to the front of the line that way.

EMSAmanda83
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:49 PM

That sucks.....with my husbands PTSD he just can't do lines so we got a disability pass while at Disneyland. It was nice and made for only mild symptoms for my husband. It could have been horrible otherwise.

NvmbrBean29
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM
And what some of you are forgetting to remember, if you've even been to Disney is once you rent a wheelchair, and try to take that wheelchair in line like everyone else, they will actually pull you out of the line and make you wait in the designated wheelchair isle. If you are able to walk and stand in line then yes park your wheelchair but if you can't stand on your feet because of a medical condition or because you are severely disabled, then having that line for a wheelchair shouldn't be taken away because some snobby people, like most of you commenting, think that disabled people get a rise out of "jumping the line" that is far from the reason!! I take total offense to this. My best friends brother is disabled and if Disney ever told her that she had to make her son wait in line like everyone else and struggle to get his wheelchair through a crowded line, she would most definitely give Disney a piece of her mind!
ChristianHerbal
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Actually, I do not think that people with disabilities are being punished. I think they will finally be treated as 'normal' which, in theory at least, is what they want.

SlightlyPerfect
Fair warning.
Thursday at 9:30 PM
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Equal access is equal access. Without a set of criteria by which to judge whether someone is "disabled" and can thus "fast track" it to avoid a wait for an attraction (without violating HIPAA), it has to be equal for everyone. Disney is trying to make it work for everyone.

Fast tracks for those who are considered disabled may work for smaller venues, but Disney shows the moral problem when the issue is extrapolated.

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:55 AM

I'm kind of in the middle. I guess it kind of depends on the disability for me. Most people I've met with a physical disability want to be treated no differently than everyone else, so why should they get the privilege to line jump just because of being in a wheelchair?

But then others can't be in the sun for 2 hours straight. They don't have the mental fortitude to handle it or the physical stamina to handle it. Should they not get to experience the magic of Disney over something they can't control?

But where do you draw the line? Perhaps a discount on the fast pass for people with disabilities as a balance?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)