Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!

Posted by   + Show Post

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (191-200):
Ladywithtwo
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Thanks for your unsolicited advice. Some people do drop fast. It's not unheard of. He has a good friend that uses a service dog because of this.

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

DM1 for going on 19 years now. Blood sugars don't just drop that fast for no reason. Either he didn't eat or he gave too high of a bolus. Regardless, if he  didn't feel his BS dropping and it got to the point where he was confused then he has hypoglycemia unawareness. With this he shouldn't be left alone regardless of his age if it is going to be posing a risk to himself or others. 

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

What is your problem? He is a TEEN. I said that in my original reply. Teens get left alone. He will be living alone soon when he starts college. He's not a toddler.

Why don't you read what I've said and research type 1 DM before you keep being so argumentative.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your post or just assumed that you (or your husband) was with your child.   I didnt realize that you left a diabetic child alone at the park.   

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

He did have what he needed. When his bs drops suddenly (which it rarely does) he cannot think clearly. He was wearing his pack of supplies but was too confused to know what he needed.

Kids like mine are NOT why Disney changed the policy. People that faked an injury to ride in a wheelchair & skip lines are why they changed policies.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

If you know your child is diabetic why would you not have the proper medical/nutritional aides right there for him.   This is one of the reasons that Disney allows soft sided coolers into the parks.   

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

Their current fast pass system works well. I wish you could save your place in more than one line with it though.

We went last year & split up for a ride that my teen wanted to go on but the little one couldn't. He has type 1 diabetes. While in line his blood sugar dropped & he nearly passed out. He was ok but we had to run back across the park, explain our reasons to get to him in the line, and get him out. It worked out but if we could have skipped the lines & stayed together as a group it would have been easier. It's not just wheelchairs.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here but why is it that if you're in a wheel chair you can't wait like everyone else ?   Any parents who's waited 1 hour in line for any ride at any park with a whiny 4 year old, knows it's hell.   I understand however, giving a person with a handicap more time to embark and disembark a ride, or get on first within their ride group but If you can't handle the lines, the wait, or whatever, sorry but don't go to a theme park !!  You don't want to wait in line buy a speed pass or what ever they are called. 

Mrs.Sells
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Then there is something wrong with their basal/bolus rates because BS doesn't just drop on it's own. AnyDiabetic's can get a service dog and they are trained to sense low BS (specifically those with hypoglycemia unawareness). It takes A LOT of hoops to get insurance to cover it, but us normal diabetics just buy them since these types of service animals are so new. I would highly suggest getting your son a pump and a sensor to prevent such incidence's.  

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

Thanks for your unsolicited advice. Some people do drop fast. It's not unheard of. He has a good friend that uses a service dog because of this.

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

DM1 for going on 19 years now. Blood sugars don't just drop that fast for no reason. Either he didn't eat or he gave too high of a bolus. Regardless, if he  didn't feel his BS dropping and it got to the point where he was confused then he has hypoglycemia unawareness. With this he shouldn't be left alone regardless of his age if it is going to be posing a risk to himself or others. 

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

What is your problem? He is a TEEN. I said that in my original reply. Teens get left alone. He will be living alone soon when he starts college. He's not a toddler.

Why don't you read what I've said and research type 1 DM before you keep being so argumentative.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your post or just assumed that you (or your husband) was with your child.   I didnt realize that you left a diabetic child alone at the park.   

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

He did have what he needed. When his bs drops suddenly (which it rarely does) he cannot think clearly. He was wearing his pack of supplies but was too confused to know what he needed.

Kids like mine are NOT why Disney changed the policy. People that faked an injury to ride in a wheelchair & skip lines are why they changed policies.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

If you know your child is diabetic why would you not have the proper medical/nutritional aides right there for him.   This is one of the reasons that Disney allows soft sided coolers into the parks.   

Quoting Ladywithtwo:

Their current fast pass system works well. I wish you could save your place in more than one line with it though.

We went last year & split up for a ride that my teen wanted to go on but the little one couldn't. He has type 1 diabetes. While in line his blood sugar dropped & he nearly passed out. He was ok but we had to run back across the park, explain our reasons to get to him in the line, and get him out. It worked out but if we could have skipped the lines & stayed together as a group it would have been easier. It's not just wheelchairs.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here but why is it that if you're in a wheel chair you can't wait like everyone else ?   Any parents who's waited 1 hour in line for any ride at any park with a whiny 4 year old, knows it's hell.   I understand however, giving a person with a handicap more time to embark and disembark a ride, or get on first within their ride group but If you can't handle the lines, the wait, or whatever, sorry but don't go to a theme park !!  You don't want to wait in line buy a speed pass or what ever they are called. 

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Yeah, nobody mentions them. It's messed up all around.

Quoting Mrs.Sells:

Or perhaps the special needs people who accepted their money.......

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

If they are going to get mad at anyone it should be the wealthy snobs who think they are better than everyone else just because they have the money to bribe someone to cheat the system. They are the ones who ruined this for everyone else. It's very unfortunate that they have ruined this for the people who really needed it. I do agree with the new policy because it's the only way these idiots will be stopped. It's not like Disney is leavng the disabled high and dry either. Those fast pass type passes will be fine. We love fast pass. When we were there in July we didn't have to wait long at all for the rides we had fast passes for.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Quoting robsgurl_23:

that is what happens when people abuse the system...at least will stop it from happening..at least you an dp fastpass and you can jump to the front of the line that way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Peaches.
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I am of the mind that never understood why they got a special privilege to jump ahead anyways. I don't think its unfair to make them wait like everyone else, but that's just me. Its sad that a bunch of entitled rich parents ruined it for everyone else though.

whoodathunk
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Unfortunately, so many people take advantage of this system that they needed to find an alternate way.  Now, people  will schedule their rides for a particular time.  Most parents of children with disabilities are very good at running schedules and will adapt to this quickly and easily.  For those that find it an inconvenience, thank the abusers...

Navene
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I think this is a toughie, on one hand i say don't punish others for heartless people! & then i say it's hard for any parent to stand in a line, but come on & kid in a wheel chair, or a disabled kid that can't run, jump or walk , it's not a issue of "special treatment" it's an issue of the quality  of life they have! come on really people your kids can walk & enjoy life in a different way! so yes i would gladly wait another hr & let a diabled person in front of me, done it before! so what if ur kid whines a bit, thats the price u may have to pay at that age, or like others said pick a certain time to go, but please don't be cruel, yes all kids deserve to have fun but you have to think others sometimes instead of urself! your feet may hurt but ur heart will feel much better!!!

Mama2JoshKatie
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Yes they are to blame as well.
Quoting Mrs.Sells:

Or perhaps the special needs people who accepted their money.......

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

If they are going to get mad at anyone it should be the wealthy snobs who think they are better than everyone else just because they have the money to bribe someone to cheat the system. They are the ones who ruined this for everyone else. It's very unfortunate that they have ruined this for the people who really needed it. I do agree with the new policy because it's the only way these idiots will be stopped. It's not like Disney is leavng the disabled high and dry either. Those fast pass type passes will be fine. We love fast pass. When we were there in July we didn't have to wait long at all for the rides we had fast passes for.

Ang357
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in total agreement with Jinxed8.

Quoting Jinxed8:

4Grrlz
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I literally cannot believe what I am reading but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

"Disabled people whine about being treated like everyone else and get all pissed off when they are!"

"If they can't wait in line like everyone else, they shouldn't be there!"

"They should only get to jump in line if they are a disruption to the people around them."

I very seriously don't understand what is wrong with you people.  My guess is that your mama bear instincts kicked in and you don't want to see people going ahead of your precious children.  I have no other excuse for this sorry ass behavior because most people can bend their minds enough to understand that there are people in the world who DO need this accomodation.

Obviously none of you understand what everyday life is like for someone with a disability.  It's fucking hard.  Disney, for many, was the one place...the ONE place that was willing to help you forget about your wheelchair or your breathing tube or your non-verbal 10 year old for just a few sweet days.  Trapped in a world of feeling pain and lonliness and a burden to those around you, you got to have someone say, "Hey, I get it.  XYZ is hard for you and, just today, I'm going to make it a little easier."  

We haven't been to Disney (despite being in driving distance) in 6 years, since my Special Needs kiddo was born.  I have two children older than her and we used to go 6-7 times per year.  Is this a tragedy?  Nope.  Is it our right to go there?  Aboslutely not.  However, our disabled daughter is not the only one missing out here.  Her siblings, her family, are not going to leave her behind so we cannot go either.  I'm not going to get into the specifics of her situation but, suffice it to say, there would be few rides she could actually go on due to her limitations but the ones she could, she certainly couldn't wait in a two hour line, physically or cognitively.  And we couldn't wait with her, nor would the people around us care for it very much.  But to say that she doesn't have the right to be there due to this, hurts me to my core.  We are the ones who have the shell out the extra money to stay on the Disney property since she will need several breaks throughout the day.  Her siblings are the ones who live EVERY DAY not being able to do things because their sister can't.  "Sorry girls...Charly can't so we can't".  Why do you begrudge disabled people one iconic childhood experience because you get miffed at watching them walk by???   Do you ever think that their families begrudge you your ability to wait in line?  To go enjoy the park at its fullest whenever you wish?  Do you think for a second that they wouldn't trade bodies/lives with you in a heartbeat to not have every damn day be such a struggle?  Jesus, people...Life is hard enough.  How can you not see past the end of your able-bodied noses?   Sure, we all pay the same entry fee.  But I pay over 20K per year in therapy and DME and medications and dr. visits....all because God decided to bless me with a special little girl.  Do we DESERVE or have a RIGHT to this helpful treatment by Disney?  Aboslutely not.  We learned a long time ago that our daughter's disability does not entitle us to any sort of compassion, repect, or even legal accomodations from people.  But up until now, Disney was always a place that would go that extra mile to make those few days truly "magical" for kids (and their familiies) whose lives are anything but.

We are one family of the many who won't be able to go now.  According to most of you, we don't belong there anyway.  And for all those places we should be going because they will accomodate us, well they don't exist.  So we will stay home and live our lives of meds and chair and doctors and the like, enjoying the local park that has no accomodations, and dreaming of the day when people will start to care a little and give families like ours a goddamn break.  Until then, I'm content not going to Disney knowing its full of people looking at me with contempt because our disabled dared get "special treatment."

I don't want to hear about the people abusing it.  It's not about them.  It's about the people and their families who can no longer go without leaving the diabled behind.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN