Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!

Posted by   + Show Post

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
nomadbrat83
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I keep wondering how it will work. Do you get a return time for every ride or will you have to go to guest services after each ride for a ride time for the next ride? I am not happy with the changes. I have a children who could have qualified for a GAC but we have never got one as we have just made adjustments and do a limited amount of rides (we used to have annual passes to WDW as we live 90 minutes away).
JoanahLee
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I think its sad that people abused it in the first place, but I also see why disney is changing its policies. 

I think a fair policy would be to allow a person whos disability makes it hard for them to wait in line either ONE companion to go to the front of the line with them... not your party of 12, or have a cool area that does not involve all the twists and turns and standing for the person with the disability to wait with ONE companion while the rest of the party stands in line.  When your the people they are with get to the front, they can join their party and board the ride.   This would be especially helpful for elderly folks who cant deal with the heat, autistic kids who cant deal with the crowds or people in large chairs that can't navigate the cattle area were the line doubles back over itself over and over again. 

I would love to go to disney, but its just too big and too crowded.  We do off season universal studios.  They are just as accomodating, and have a wonderful baby swap program where the whole family waits in line together, then one adult stays with whoever can't/won't ride the ride, then when the ride is over, the adult that waited with the baby goes on the very next ride and the family can ride again if they want, or can wait with the other parent and the baby.   Most of the waiting areas have cameras so you can watch your family on the ride. 

CutieCrab
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I think everybody should wait in line.

awesomemommy2
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

The ADA says that establishments (like Disney) need to provide reasonable accommodation not special privilege.   If people didnt take advantage it wouldnt have been taken away.   We know people who got one because their son has a lazy eye and technically is legally blind (the kid is 4).  What does that have to do with the ability to wait in line.   

Its just a sad commentary on our society today.   

awesomemommy2
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Disney will make a reasonable accomodation and allow your children to stay in their stroller (or wheelchair) until they get on the ride.  

Problem solved.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

I think its bull snot! 2 of my kids can not stand up for more than 15 mins due to low muscle tone. they both wear braces on their feet. ppl shouldnt do what they do.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM

There is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't have been like this before. Everyone needs to be treated equally. If you are in good shape to be on a ride then your ol tail can wait in line like the rest of the human beings. 

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
They are too big for a stroller and their insurance wont pay for wheelchairs bc they can walk.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Disney will make a reasonable accomodation and allow your children to stay in their stroller (or wheelchair) until they get on the ride.  

Problem solved.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

I think its bull snot! 2 of my kids can not stand up for more than 15 mins due to low muscle tone. they both wear braces on their feet. ppl shouldnt do what they do.

LnAsMommy
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I agree but I don't. Maybe they could offer a special day to use the pass?
awesomemommy2
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Luckily Disney has them for rent.   Or you could rent them from some of the local places that will deliver them right to your hotel room.   Here are some links;

Disney

KM Rentals

Or maybe look into those little folding chairs that some of the elderly use so that they can take turns sitting.   They are so cute and even fold up into a little bag.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

They are too big for a stroller and their insurance wont pay for wheelchairs bc they can walk.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Problem solved.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

Ginnygurl97
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
You can rent wheelchairs for a few dollars from the park. We've had to do it before when my grandmother w Parkinson's wanted to go w all the grand kids. I think it was only like $5 or $10.

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Problem solved.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)