Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!

Posted by   + Show Post

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Thats neat. we just took the kids to Lake Winnie and the lines arent too bad there. we have to take a lot of set down brakes and my middle on hates that lol.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Luckily Disney has them for rent.   Or you could rent them from some of the local places that will deliver them right to your hotel room.   Here are some links;

Disney

KM Rentals

Or maybe look into those little folding chairs that some of the elderly use so that they can take turns sitting.   They are so cute and even fold up into a little bag.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

They are too big for a stroller and their insurance wont pay for wheelchairs bc they can walk.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Disney will make a reasonable accomodation and allow your children to stay in their stroller (or wheelchair) until they get on the ride.  

Problem solved.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

I think its bull snot! 2 of my kids can not stand up for more than 15 mins due to low muscle tone. they both wear braces on their feet. ppl shouldnt do what they do.

cupcake_mom
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Wouldn't it just be easier to get a fast past? I think it was Disney that i was at and the fast past was set for a certain time. So tit coughs plan your whole day out! That's what we did

Quoting goddess99:

I was just at Disney and the lines weren't hours long. Either go off peak or get a fast pass like everyone else.

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Thats not bad at all!

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

You can rent wheelchairs for a few dollars from the park. We've had to do it before when my grandmother w Parkinson's wanted to go w all the grand kids. I think it was only like $5 or $10.

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

They are too big for a stroller and their insurance wont pay for wheelchairs bc they can walk.

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Disney will make a reasonable accomodation and allow your children to stay in their stroller (or wheelchair) until they get on the ride.  

Problem solved.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

I think its bull snot! 2 of my kids can not stand up for more than 15 mins due to low muscle tone. they both wear braces on their feet. ppl shouldnt do what they do.

Stephw1110
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM

So I haven't seen anywhere but are these families having to pay for the fast pass?

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I go to Disney a lot because we live 1 1/2 hours away. I have back & knee  problems and it is very difficult for me to stand or walk for long periods. My doctor gave me a disabled parking sticker and I use it on my bad days, but I do not jump the line at Disney because I don't think it's right. We go off season when the lines aren't bad, get fast pass for the rides I'm able to do, and I would get a motorized riding cart, but they're usually all gone. I see sooo many seniors that are riding on motorized carts and whiz right through, even on the rides that I don't dare go on anymore because I don't want further pain. When the rest of my family goes on the whoop-de-do rides, I find a spot to sit and wait for them.  It works out fine for us. I don't want to give anyone in my family the idea that it's an advantage to having a physical problem, and that you should take advantage of the situation.

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Thats not bad at all!

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

You can rent wheelchairs for a few dollars from the park. We've had to do it before when my grandmother w Parkinson's wanted to go w all the grand kids. I think it was only like $5 or $10.

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

Quoting awesomemommy2:

Problem solved.   

Quoting NeonGirl9583:

deputygirls28
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Not sure if it has been said yet but they are not co.pletly getting rid of it. They are gonna put effort into keeping the fakers in line and giving those actually disabled normal waiting times. They will have a booklet kind of thing and they will go to the front of the line and have the book filled out with the proper waiting period. So they will still have to wait those 2 hours but they can sit down and wait for that time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bonitalilmama
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

It fair because you can't weed out the faking ones, it sucks they have to suffer but then again why do they jump the line anyway?

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We never bothered with the fast pass, we just waited in line. Guess it all depends how much you want to do in a day and how many days you have.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a fast past? I think it was Disney that i was at and the fast past was set for a certain time. So tit coughs plan your whole day out! That's what we did

Quoting goddess99:

I was just at Disney and the lines weren't hours long. Either go off peak or get a fast pass like everyone else.

bklyn2tx-mama
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not trying to be mean to people with disabilities, but I don't understand the line jumping anyway. Fast pass will work just fine for everyone and perhaps a discount for those with disabilities. People who are disabled are always complaining about not being discrimminated against- treat them like everyone else and have them wait in line like everyone else. Depending on your disability- bring a wheelchair and sit while you wait.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)