Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Disney Tells Disabled Guest to "Wait in Line"!

Posted by   + Show Post

I read earlier today that Disney was going to overhaul their policies for guests with disabilities to curb abuse.

Earlier this year there was a story about wealthy New Yorkers who hire people with disabilites to go to the Disney parks with them, so they can line jump to the front. Instead of waiting in line for say 2 hours for an attraction, it can be a matter of minutes in wait time.

People were of course upset about this and I guess Disney took notice because they are no longer going to allow people with disabilities to line jump. Instead they are going to be more consistent and offer something like the Fast Pass that all guests can access.

Now advocates and families of people with disabilites are upset about the changes brought on by those who abused the system.

What are your thoughts? Do you think it is fair of Disney to essentially punish all persons with disabilites for the abuse of a few?
Do you think that people with disabilities should get preferential treatment or should they have to wait in line like everyone else?

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Replies (41-50):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

You don't pay for fast pass. It gives you a time to come back and then you go in the fast passline. You can go on other rides that aren't as popular and then come back. They're only on the most popular rides.

Quoting Stephw1110:

So I haven't seen anywhere but are these families having to pay for the fast pass?

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Fast passes are free.

Quoting Stephw1110:

So I haven't seen anywhere but are these families having to pay for the fast pass?

Mommyof1B2Gs
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I think Disney did the right thing. Honestly, disabled people (not all of course) are always complaining about not getting treated equally. I think if we pay the same price then we should all have to wait in line. It is the same ride. Especially when people take advantage and abuse privilages. Sorry for the disabled but if they want special privilages then they need special disabled people rides.

Elyssa414
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM
4 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

For all those talking about equal treatment...

It's not the same for people with special needs. I have two typical kids, and two with SN. A whiny 4 year old in a long line is stressful, and inconvenient, and not fun. A child with spastic CP in a wheelchair with breathing problems and medications which cause heat intolerance and an inability to understand why they are sitting there until they are actually on the ride is worlds harder, and more stressful, and possibly not do-able...

I'm not going to complain, and demand this special treatment to make Disney a possibility for my family. I get that it's not a "right". But it was really special to have a place as iconic as Disney understand the unique challenges that disabled people have to overcome to enjoy an experience like that, and to go the extra mile to make it possible.
JleeB
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand why they got to jump the line in the first place. No disrespect, but people with disabilities or children with disabilities always say they want to be treated the same as a "normal" person. So why should they get to jump the line, if every other time they're mad because they aren't treated the same?? When I went to Disney we bought fast passes. They weren't that expensive bc we stayed at the camp ground for the week but I can't imagine they are too much. If you want special treatment you're ping to have to pay. That's life.
Stephw1110
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ok I wasn't sure (we haven't made the disney journey yet) but someone told me a while back you have to buy a special ticket (or an upgraded ticket something like that) to even be eligible to do the fast pass thing. 

Quoting SweetLuci:

You don't pay for fast pass. It gives you a time to come back and then you go in the fast passline. You can go on other rides that aren't as popular and then come back. They're only on the most popular rides.

Quoting Stephw1110:

Stephw1110
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I love your post!!!!  Unfortunately too many people in today's society are just too self-absorbed to really understand the difference.

Quoting Elyssa414:

Mobile Photo

For all those talking about equal treatment...

It's not the same for people with special needs. I have two typical kids, and two with SN. A whiny 4 year old in a long line is stressful, and inconvenient, and not fun. A child with spastic CP in a wheelchair with breathing problems and medications which cause heat intolerance and an inability to understand why they are sitting there until they are actually on the ride is worlds harder, and more stressful, and possibly not do-able...

I'm not going to complain, and demand this special treatment to make Disney a possibility for my family. I get that it's not a "right". But it was really special to have a place as iconic as Disney understand the unique challenges that disabled people have to overcome to enjoy an experience like that, and to go the extra mile to make it possible.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The information you were given is incorrect. You can do that at Universal Studios, pasymore and then go in a special line, but at Disney the fast-pass is available for everyone.

Quoting Stephw1110:

Ok I wasn't sure (we haven't made the disney journey yet) but someone told me a while back you have to buy a special ticket (or an upgraded ticket something like that) to even be eligible to do the fast pass thing. 

Quoting SweetLuci:

Quoting Stephw1110:

Elyssa414
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Not being treated equally and not having access to resources to make opportunities equal are not the same thing.
For example, my 7 year old is perfectly fine, and learning a lot in a general ed classroom with 25 students and 1 teacher. My 9 year old needs to be in a class with 6 students and 3 teachers and therapists and assistive technology- not because I think he deserves a better education than my 7 year old, but because I realize that he needs the extra support in order to have an equal education.

Quoting Mommyof1B2Gs:

I think Disney did the right thing. Honestly, disabled people (not all of course) are always complaining about not getting treated equally. I think if we pay the same price then we should all have to wait in line. It is the same ride. Especially when people take advantage and abuse privilages. Sorry for the disabled but if they want special privilages then they need special disabled people rides.

iamnameless
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I don't think have a sn is an excuse to let the kid jump inline and I have worked with many sn adults and children. One our biggest goals is always to give the person the most normal life possible and that means being treated like everyone else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)