Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Am I crazy for thinking of taking my son to the doctor over this?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM
  • 29 Replies

I have a 4 1/2 year old who hates to sleep.  He will only sleep 8 hours at night and no naps during the day.  it drives me crazy!  When he was a new born he never slept either, 2 20 minute naps a day, that was it.  There has been 3 times in his life that he slept 9 hours, only 3 times!  His dad hates to sleep too, really who can hate sleep??  I feel I never get enough of it.  

We have a routine, we read books, no tv or iPads 1 hours before bed.  He will lay in the dark and play with his hands, arg.....

He is in preschool and is very well behaved, he teacher says he is very smart, sweet and kind, so he is no wild child.  I just dont know what to do, he seriously acts like he just dont need sleep.

After getting up today at 7:00 am, going to preschool then swim lessons tonight I prayed he would go to sleep at 8:30, it is almost 11pm and he is still awake

Please tell me that I am not the only mother lucky enough to have a kid who hates sleep.  I just dont know what to do, should I talk to his pediatrician? 

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:07 AM
4 moms liked this

My 13 year old was and is still this way.  He's perfectly healthy and really smart.  He says it is like his brain just thinks and thinks.  He is very involved in science and mechanics of things.  Recently he has rewired a broken lamp, helped my dh repair a stove and figure out a solution to an architectural problem on some blueprints, and yesterday he figured out the combination to a Master Lock that we'd long forgotten how to open.  

I see no harm in mentioning it to the ped, just to ease your mind.

disneyrose
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Quoting famiglia_bella:

My 13 year old was and is still this way.  He's perfectly healthy and really smart.  He says it is like his brain just thinks and thinks.  He is very involved in science and mechanics of things.  Recently he has rewired a broken lamp, helped my dh repair a stove and figure out a solution to an architectural problem on some blueprints, and yesterday he figured out the combination to a Master Lock that we'd long forgotten how to open.  

Oh thank you, my son loves math, just learning of course, learning to read too.  I am actually not to worried, I just want to get more sleep myself, but that is probably the wrong reason to talk to the doc about it, anyways I would never put him on sleeping pills are anything.  He is pretty healthy too.  Sounds like you have a great son, good job momma

famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  That's how my son started too, with math!  I understand wanting more sleep; I remember those days.  It will come, eventually... ;)

Quoting disneyrose:

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Oh thank you, my son loves math, just learning of course, learning to read too.  I am actually not to worried, I just want to get more sleep myself, but that is probably the wrong reason to talk to the doc about it, anyways I would never put him on sleeping pills are anything.  He is pretty healthy too.  Sounds like you have a great son, good job momma

Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Asking the Ped. Would be a good idea. I'm sure he is fine like what was already said. But it would give you an explanation and maybe offer you a few suggestions.
cindilou13
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

If he's doing fine behaviourally and has no physical or mental issues as a result, then it sounds like he just doesn't need that much sleep.  Every kid-and person-has different sleep requirements.   So 8 hours is probably fine for him at this point, just keep an eye as he gets older and adjust if it seems needed. 4 1/2 is also plenty old enough to not be needing or taking naps during the day, although I'm no nap expert as mine did not nap much. DD6 was like you've described as a newborn and stopped even that much napping at 13 months, and DS9 stopped napping around 2.  The only time since they have ever slept during the day since is occasionally they would fall asleep on a long car ride or if they were ill.

If the issue is that because he's awake you're awake, get him fully ready for bed, but set him up with quiet, safe activities in his bedroom-reading, drawing, etc., and set a quiet timer till 10pm or 11pm and tell him when the timer goes off he has to get in bed.  Try it for a couple nights and stay up yourself but don't let him know you are.  At 4 1/2 if his personality is as you described he should be able to to this.  Or if his Dad hates sleep, maybe he should be the one staying up with him.  If he's sleeping 8 hrs you should be able to get those same 8 hrs I would think?  Or if you have to get up and get ready a little early try to cut your morning routine to a minimum and you could still get 7 or more.  I typically get 5-6 hours through the week and maybe 7 on the weekends so honestly I'm wondering why you're worried about 8 lol.

You've probably already tried to cut out/reduce caffeine and sugar and those are the only other things that I would suggest.  It won't hurt to ask the ped but I doubt it's any issue.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

If you're just looking for more sleep yourself, you could try to change your schedule a bit and go to bed the same time he does. Easier said than done, I suppose.

Quoting disneyrose:

Quoting famiglia_bella:

luvmybug
by Amanda on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM
My 9yr old is the same way, but she has a terrible sleep history. Night terrors, sleeplessness, nightmares, you name it. She fights sleep like crazy.
SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is like this.  You can take him to the ped, if you are concerned but I doubt it's anything.  Better safe than sorry, I guess.

SallyB_LMT
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You could mention it when you go in for his next yearly appointment, or send her an email, but I wouldn't make a federal case out of it, some people just don't need as much sleep.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. He might just need less sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)