Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

5 Volunteer Projects Every Mom Can Fit Into Her Busy Schedule

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 19 Replies

5 Volunteer Projects Every Mom Can Fit Into Her Busy Schedule

by Adriana Velez

hatsYou want to make a difference in the world -- good for you. A lot of parents would say raising children to be decent people is enough of a volunteer project, but you know better. You want to make the world a better place for your children now. If only you had an extra five hours in the day! Finding time for volunteer projects can be challenging, but it's not impossible. Here are five volunteer projects moms can fit into our busy lives.

1. Take up collections: Whether it's coats for the homeless or eyeglasses, find an organization that takes collections and volunteer to gather those items from people you know. Set up a Facebook page, give people a deadline, and ask that they bring the items to your home. 

2. Senior center visit: If you've got an afternoon with just you and the kids, arrange to visit a senior center. Don't worry about bringing drawings or anything else -- just being there, with your kids, will brighten people's day.

3. Pet shelter visit: Cats and dogs love visitors, too. And shelters need a lot of help with everything from cleaning cages to taking photos of animals up for adoption.

4. Knit a hat for a chemotherapy patient: Organizations like Knots of Love collect handmade hats for patients. You can knit at your own pace. If it takes you six months to complete a hat, that's all right. You're still contributing.

5. Admin for anyone: Just about every non-profit out there could use some help keeping organized. Find an organization or cause that means something to you. Email them to find out if they need help doing data entry, filing, or any other small tasks on an ad hoc basis. Just be careful not to commit to more than you're positive you can take on so you don't leave them in a lurch.

What other volunteer projects can busy parents fit into their lives?

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Their kid's school, PTO, even if you can't volunteer at the school you could be the one to collect, box, and ship boxtops for your school. This is a great job that anyone can do and it helps sooo much!

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I doubt I could do any of those, lol.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Can't say I have the time for any of these.
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I help those with cancer get free and low cost wigs/turban head wraps. Have for years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Couldn't do a few of those though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather77g
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I wish I had time for this, unfortunately with my sons soccer and my daughter in cheer. I just dont have the time.

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM

How do you do it?

Quoting celestegood:

I help those with cancer get free and low cost wigs/turban head wraps. Have for years.

summerbear
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I am on the PTO and I do the boxtops for the school. I have picked up another school I do tops for as well now. On Sundays our church has 2 services, so my oldest daughter and I voulenteer in the childrens center for the first service and attend the second service.

I don't do things on this list, but I do other things instead! :)

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
My grandma owns a wig store. I get them for very discounted prices. My kids and I have fundraised, and asked family and friends to donate when they can. Its nice to help women out when they are losing their hair.

Quoting goddess99:

How do you do it?

Quoting celestegood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

That is so sweet!!

Quoting celestegood:

My grandma owns a wig store. I get them for very discounted prices. My kids and I have fundraised, and asked family and friends to donate when they can. Its nice to help women out when they are losing their hair.

Quoting goddess99:

How do you do it?

Quoting celestegood:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)