Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

question about shot

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 15 Replies
Went to the doctor yesterday for my daughters 15 month well visit....well she got 2 shots, was suppose to get 4.. She wanted to give her a shot for chicken pox and I told her I'm not doing that right now, not till I do some research and ask some ppl what they think.. So did you do it? I thought kids were suppose to get chicken pox? I already told her I wasn't doing the flu shot so that's off the list, I heard to much bad stuff about those.. I need some advise on to get it or not lolrepo
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I did the chicken pox vax, ah I think if you get chicken pox you're much more likely to get shingles or you already have it in you..? Either way I did it. I also get my dd the flu shot, nasal, I had a LO with the flu, that is Not fun.

mommathea
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Quoting goddess99:

I did the chicken pox vax, ah I think if you get chicken pox you're much more likely to get shingles or you already have it in you..? Either way I did it. I also get my dd the flu shot, nasal, I had a LO with the flu, that is Not fun.

You are more likely to get shingles whether you get chicken pox, OR the vaccine.  The vaccine is a live virus so you are introducing a small amount of the visus in hopes that the body will build immunity without actually getting sick.

The thing is, there are many cases of where children are getting shingles from the vaccine. The vaccine makes the body believe that it has already had chicken pox and the virus cells are in the body to allow the shingles. 

The flu vaccine only has a 60% sucess rate.  Not worth it in my book.  We've lived through Influenza, while it isn't fun, the risk of the vaccine isn't worth the risk of getting the influenza 

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM

The debate over to vax or not to vax will never die.

haydensmommy01
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Ok so you didn't get the chicken pox one? Cuz I read the same thing that its a live virus vaccine and I don't really like the thought of that.. and my sister had the shot and got them so bad they were in her ears, mouth, head, etc.. Yeah no way am I getting the flu shot or giving it to my daughter I don't like that one from what iv heard..

Quoting mommathea:

Quoting goddess99:

You are more likely to get shingles whether you get chicken pox, OR the vaccine.  The vaccine is a live virus so you are introducing a small amount of the visus in hopes that the body will build immunity without actually getting sick.

The thing is, there are many cases of where children are getting shingles from the vaccine. The vaccine makes the body believe that it has already had chicken pox and the virus cells are in the body to allow the shingles. 

The flu vaccine only has a 60% sucess rate.  Not worth it in my book.  We've lived through Influenza, while it isn't fun, the risk of the vaccine isn't worth the risk of getting the influenza 

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM
The chicken pox vaccine can cause shingles. Actually, the advent of the chicken pox vaccine caused a huge increase in the rate of shingles that it created a need for the shingles vaccine.
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I sure did & would again. 

You are always going to get the vax haters that will hate it. The "need for the shingles vaccine" I don't buy though that is just me because most everyone I know that has had shingles are all people that weren't in the Chicken Pox Vax generation. They were all in the generation that got Chicken pox. 

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Even after getting the shots, they will still get the chicken pox.

armyvet06
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My dd got the shot when she was around your daughters age. Just a couple of days ago, she started getting the chicken pox. She has a mild case of them though.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM
My grandson is type one diabetic. We got him the flu shot this year. He had the flu last year it was awful for him, he was so sick. It really messes up their blood sugar.
haydensmommy01
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Aww poor thing.. hope she feels better soon.. that's the only reason I do wanna get it cuz I heard if they get the chicken pox after having the shot its a mild case.. but like I said my sister had it worse then iv ever seen after having the shot I have 3 months to decide what I wanna do I guess lol

Quoting armyvet06:

My dd got the shot when she was around your daughters age. Just a couple of days ago, she started getting the chicken pox. She has a mild case of them though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN