Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
Went to the doctor yesterday for my daughters 15 month well visit....well she got 2 shots, was suppose to get 4.. She wanted to give her a shot for chicken pox and I told her I'm not doing that right now, not till I do some research and ask some ppl what they think.. So did you do it? I thought kids were suppose to get chicken pox? I already told her I wasn't doing the flu shot so that's off the list, I heard to much bad stuff about those.. I need some advise on to get it or not lolrepo
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (11-15):
NYMommy4505
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I vax my kids and myself...I delay a bit and spread them out but when all is said and done I prefer to vax since so many aren't we no longer have herd immunity especially nyc since we are all "oh my kid doesn't need it" cu it's the trend to not vax. Plus in my profession I have to vax and I know I bring germs home so I rather protect the kids I bring germs home to. It's a debate all the time tho
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I did vaccinate for chicken pox ...

Children are not Supposed to get chicken pox, it's a virus - it became a thing to just let your kid have it because almost all chidren caught it one time or another and then you were done with it for life.  The other thing they have discovered now is that a secondary effect of chicken pox is shingles which is painful and unpleasant and recurring.  

I never caught it as a kid and neither did my sister.  It became a huge threat when we became adults, my sister caught it and it was BAAAAD she almost had to be hospitalized, high fever, infection, she couldn't work for 10 days, she had pustules everywhere even on the inside of her mouth and inside her hoo-ha ! Today she is infertile. 

I had a hell of a scare while pregnant - a friend of mine came over and 48 hours later her daughter broke out - you should have seen my OBGYN flip when I called her - I had to go urgently to the hospital and get tested it was grand panic central.  So, as soon as possible after I gave birth, I got vaccinated and got DD vaccinated too.  It's your choice, personally if I can avoid my DD any suffering, I do it.  Why risk it.

supercarp
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Gah. Don't turn into one of those nutcase anti-vaccination people. They are just wrong. And don't let your child get chickenpox on purpose. The virus gets into the nervous tissue and stays there for life. When she gets older, it may emerge as shingles and there is no cure.

Most of the bad stuff you hear about vaccinations is misinformation.

haydensmommy01
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:03 AM
No I have got her every shot, this is the only one I had questions about bc I always thought kids were suppose to get them so they didn't as adults.. bit i didnt know about the shingels thing..

Quoting supercarp:

Gah. Don't turn into one of those nutcase anti-vaccination people. They are just wrong. And don't let your child get chickenpox on purpose. The virus gets into the nervous tissue and stays there for life. When she gets older, it may emerge as shingles and there is no cure.

Most of the bad stuff you hear about vaccinations is misinformation.

lizard3731
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Get the shot.  Chicken pox can be miserable.  My dh broke out everywhere, even in his eyes, when he was a child.  It takes about a week to get over it and it can leave permanent scarring.  If you get chicken pox, you can get shingles later in life, which is miserable.  This is the voice of experience here.  When I had shingles, it was very itchy and I ached all over.  Pain relievers and over the counter medicines were very little help.  I had to go to the doctor and get a couple of different medicines.  Shingles can leave permanent nerve damage.

At one time, most kids did get chicken pox, but that doesn't mean they're "supposed" to get it.  It just means there wasn't a vaccine available at the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)