Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is this normal in a 4 day old baby?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:32 AM
  • 14 Replies

I just had DD2 by c-section Monday morning.  I have been breast feeding her and yesterday she has started to have diaheira.  I mean the loud wet fart kind.  I know gross sounding but can this be normal in a 4 day old?  She isn't coughing, she has started to spit up and sneeze.  She wants to eat every hour almost and hasn't been sleeping well but not running a temp.  Not sure what to do or think.  On a funny not wish I could have had a picture of my husbands face when his little princess made that wet farting sound while he was watching a movie, it was priceless to see the grossed out look.  If my post seems a little scattered it might be the late hour and the pain meds they put me on.  Any advice or reassurance on DD2's situation would be greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Yellow mustard seed looking? Sweet smell? That's breastfed poop for you and yes it's very runny :)
Mrs.Thomason
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:50 AM

The first couple of days it was tar lik and now it's a light brown and lightly stinks it's a faint smell.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Yellow mustard seed looking? Sweet smell? That's breastfed poop for you and yes it's very runny :)

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:51 AM
That was the merconium it's a good thing it's changing :) congrats on the baby!

Quoting Mrs.Thomason:

The first couple of days it was tar lik and now it's a light brown and lightly stinks it's a faint smell.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Mrs.Thomason
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Thanks.  I thought it took longer with my other kids.  Wow I didn't think it only took a couple of days.  Strange what momories fade, isn't it?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting Mrs.Thomason:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Congrats. I'm not sure, just for peace of mind, I would call the doctor's office and ask to speak to a nurse.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM
It all depends how far along the baby was at the moment of birth - my DD was late. She came out at 40 weeks +. All her merconium was already out (in me eeewww) she had one more merc poop and then it was the yellow stuff.
Quoting Mrs.Thomason:

Thanks.  I thought it took longer with my other kids.  Wow I didn't think it only took a couple of days.  Strange what momories fade, isn't it?

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting Mrs.Thomason:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

CB3arr
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Sounds normal to me.  Our hospital gave us a full color photo page of the stages of poop in babies.  

NeonGirl9583
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Its normal. my did that while l breastfeed them. it looks like muster.
SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Breastfed baby poop is liquidy...that's normal.  It's not actually diarrhea.  Loud wet farting is normal.

CelestialSong
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:41 PM

That all sounds very normal. Breastfed babies have liquidy poop, so yeah, it can sound like wet farts if it's pushed out hard enough. Nursing frequently is actually a good thing (although I know it doesn't feel like it), she's building up your supply. Sneezing is normal too, just her little system getting used to breathing and all of the dust and whatnot in the air.

Congrats by the way! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN