Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dad Who Yelled at EMT After Daughter's Suicide Doesn't Deserve Criminal Charges

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 21 Replies

Dad Who Yelled at EMT After Daughter's Suicide Doesn't Deserve Criminal Charges

by Kiri Blakeley 

Finding your 16-year-old daughter dead after she pointed a gun at her head and killed herself with one bullet is horrific enough. But for Brooke Russell's heartbroken father, Kevin, things went from horrific to surreal when an ambulance showed up. Brooke was found by her dad and brother, Brant, shortly after she killed herself in a nearby park. At the time, she was unconscious but still alive and the family prayed she would have a chance. They loaded her in their car, called 911, and met an ambulance by a police station. When the ambulance arrived, Kevin and Brant were understandably hysterical and maybe not acting in the most calm and dignified way. That's when things got out of control.

Says Kevin:

To me, time was everything. I was going, "Let's go, get her to the hospital, hurry up, hurry up."

Kevin says the EMT then turned around to ask him what had happened, and Brooke fell off the gurney. Kevin was now understandably angry. He told KSPR:

I started screaming and said, "Do your f*cking job, get her to the hospital," and the EMT put his finger in my face and said, "Calm down, sir." I was screaming, "Please get her to the hospital." And right about that time a police officer ran up on the sidewalk and I saw Brant go down.

OMG, unbelievably, Brant had been pepper sprayed in the face. Then Kevin was thrown to the ground and threatened with a taser. He was then handcuffed to a bench.

Details here are unclear, but Brooke later died. Kevin and Brant are facing charges of assault, disturbing the peace, and obstruction.

EMTs need to be able to do their job, and if people get in their face, it's understandable that they'd react -- but pepper spraying? Arresting? Emergency personnel must be accustomed to finding people in all kinds of states of panic.

Since the father and brother didn't physically harm anyone and were just upset and yelling, charges seem extreme -- especially when they are already grieving. It's been six months since Brooke's death, and they are still facing these charges. I really hope that the EMTs take heart and forgive and forget.

Do you think the arrests were justified?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh this is awful. smh. and then she falls off the gurney? How the fuck does that happen? Sound like this EMT duo weren't doing their jobs properly. I don't feel the arrests were justified, if anyone should be looked at it's the ETM and their actions during this tragedy.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM

No these arrests were not justified.  I think anyone would be flying off the handle if their child was suffering from a gun shot wound to the face and the EMT dropped her off the gurney.  i am the first one to admit I would have done pretty much the same thing.  In the situation like this , every minute counts, the EMT should have been hauling ass to get her to the closest hospital instead of asking questions. Besides when dispatched believe you me, he was told, gun shot wound to the head ! Who cares how it happened, her life needed saving

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting Jinxed8:

No these arrests were not justified.  I think anyone would be flying off the handle if their child was suffering from a gun shot wound to the face and the EMT dropped her off the gurney.  i am the first one to admit I would have done pretty much the same thing.  In the situation like this , every minute counts, the EMT should have been hauling ass to get her to the closest hospital instead of asking questions. Besides when dispatched believe you me, he was told, gun shot wound to the head ! Who cares how it happened, her life needed saving

famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Soley based on this info, pepper spraying and arresting seems like an attempt to deflect from the fact that the girl, already suffering from a gunshot wound to the head, was left unattended long enough to fall off the gurney.  How could any loved one not react angrily to that?  But to have criminal charges against you for yelling?  Hell, in that case we'd all be arrested because who hasn't yelled?  Ridiculous.

splatz
by Sarah on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Its hard to really judge without being there. But being arrested surely does sound extreme from how his is worded. 

goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this

My brother was an EMT / is a paramedic.  People would be shocked at the threats and assault that he's endured over the years.  He's been kicked and punched, had knives pulled on him, etc.  Not in a violent city, but in small town America.  They never know when the out of control yelling and screaming is going to turn in to something more.

In an emergency, family members have tunnel vision.  All they can think is "get them to the hospital as fast as you can".  But in many (most?) situations, that's not what's in the patient's best interest and it's not standard care.  Their first priority is usually to assess and stabilize the patient.  They are emergency MEDICAL TECHNICIANS . . . Not "ambulance drivers". If their only goal was to scoop up the patient and "get them to the hospital as fast as you can" then they could just hire race car drivers on their days off.  But that's not what they are there for. They are trained to begin necessary medical interventions before the patient even makes it to the hospital.  They will asses and stabilize the patient, start IVs, administer medications, etc.   An important part of that includes gathering as much information as possible about what happened.  It may seem like "wasting time" to the family members, but that 90 seconds of gathering information can be vital.

As many have said, patients are usually strapped to the stretcher, which leads me to think that the father's interference was so bad that it was interrupting them from what they were trying to do (including getting her strapped to the stretcher).  They had to turn from the task at hand (strapping her down and preparing her for transport) to deal with the father who was all up on them, yelling and screaming.

I've read several other articles about this and the officials say that the EMTs and the police all acted appropriately in this situation . ..and that there is (obviously) more to the story than what the father has said. But they (officials) aren't able to discuss the matter because of the pending case. So in the mean time, as is so often the case, we are only hearing one person's version of what happened.  Of course he's going to say he didn't do anything wrong.

tinkay
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Fuck no.......
He was trying to save his daughter. People in power positions take it to far, what if were the emt's daughter??????
goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 5:32 AM

Yelling and screaming at the people who are there to help and generally getting in their way isn't "trying to save his daughter".  It's interfering with the people who actually are "trying to save his daughter".  If he had gone into a hospital and started screaming at the doctors and staff security would have had him out of there in a heartbeat and he would have likely faced arrest.  This is the same concept.  He was interfering with their efforts and making it difficult to impossible for them to do their job.

Crying out in grief is one thing.  Screaming at caregivers and interfering with their efforts is another.

As I said, I've read a couple of other articles and officials are saying that the EMTs and police acted appropriately, given the situation.  Right now we don't know the whole story, only the Dad's version.

SheciaBaby
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 6:38 AM
I agree with you. Him causing a ruckus was time he could have saved her. If the whole ordeal wouldn't have happened she may be alive today. Time wasted over foolishness

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

My brother was an EMT / is a paramedic.  People would be shocked at the threats and assault that he's endured over the years.  He's been kicked and punched, had knives pulled on him, etc.  Not in a violent city, but in small town America.  They never know when the out of control yelling and screaming is going to turn in to something more.

In an emergency, family members have tunnel vision.  All they can think is "get them to the hospital as fast as you can".  But in many (most?) situations, that's not what's in the patient's best interest and it's not standard care.  Their first priority is usually to assess and stabilize the patient.  They are emergency MEDICAL TECHNICIANS . . . Not "ambulance drivers". If their only goal was to scoop up the patient and "get them to the hospital as fast as you can" then they could just hire race car drivers on their days off.  But that's not what they are there for. They are trained to begin necessary medical interventions before the patient even makes it to the hospital.  They will asses and stabilize the patient, start IVs, administer medications, etc.   An important part of that includes gathering as much information as possible about what happened.  It may seem like "wasting time" to the family members, but that 90 seconds of gathering information can be vital.

As many have said, patients are usually strapped to the stretcher, which leads me to think that the father's interference was so bad that it was interrupting them from what they were trying to do (including getting her strapped to the stretcher).  They had to turn from the task at hand (strapping her down and preparing her for transport) to deal with the father who was all up on them, yelling and screaming.

I've read several other articles about this and the officials say that the EMTs and the police all acted appropriately in this situation . ..and that there is (obviously) more to the story than what the father has said. But they (officials) aren't able to discuss the matter because of the pending case. So in the mean time, as is so often the case, we are only hearing one person's version of what happened.  Of course he's going to say he didn't do anything wrong.

lovehimforever
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:31 AM
no and I would gladly sign a petition.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)