Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dad Who Yelled at EMT After Daughter's Suicide Doesn't Deserve Criminal Charges

Dad Who Yelled at EMT After Daughter's Suicide Doesn't Deserve Criminal Charges

by Kiri Blakeley 

Finding your 16-year-old daughter dead after she pointed a gun at her head and killed herself with one bullet is horrific enough. But for Brooke Russell's heartbroken father, Kevin, things went from horrific to surreal when an ambulance showed up. Brooke was found by her dad and brother, Brant, shortly after she killed herself in a nearby park. At the time, she was unconscious but still alive and the family prayed she would have a chance. They loaded her in their car, called 911, and met an ambulance by a police station. When the ambulance arrived, Kevin and Brant were understandably hysterical and maybe not acting in the most calm and dignified way. That's when things got out of control.

Says Kevin:

To me, time was everything. I was going, "Let's go, get her to the hospital, hurry up, hurry up."

Kevin says the EMT then turned around to ask him what had happened, and Brooke fell off the gurney. Kevin was now understandably angry. He told KSPR:

I started screaming and said, "Do your f*cking job, get her to the hospital," and the EMT put his finger in my face and said, "Calm down, sir." I was screaming, "Please get her to the hospital." And right about that time a police officer ran up on the sidewalk and I saw Brant go down.

OMG, unbelievably, Brant had been pepper sprayed in the face. Then Kevin was thrown to the ground and threatened with a taser. He was then handcuffed to a bench.

Details here are unclear, but Brooke later died. Kevin and Brant are facing charges of assault, disturbing the peace, and obstruction.

EMTs need to be able to do their job, and if people get in their face, it's understandable that they'd react -- but pepper spraying? Arresting? Emergency personnel must be accustomed to finding people in all kinds of states of panic.

Since the father and brother didn't physically harm anyone and were just upset and yelling, charges seem extreme -- especially when they are already grieving. It's been six months since Brooke's death, and they are still facing these charges. I really hope that the EMTs take heart and forgive and forget.

Do you think the arrests were justified?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
lovehimforever
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM
my question is why didn't the emt follow safety procedure? she should have been strapped to the gurney before anything else. they have straps for a reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Regardless of if the father was yelling or not the EMT used excessive force. You can't tell me there wasn't a better way to handle this. I would have lost it if my child fell off the gurney due to the EMTs negligence. I work with adults with intellectual disabilities and I have seen some EMTs and cops handle these situations with care and respect. I would imagine dealing with this father wasn't harder then dealing with people with psych issues or intellectual disabilities.

SlapItHigh
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:02 PM

It's hard to say without knowing the full story.  What a terrible situation for all :(.

goldilocksbecky
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM

As I said in an earlier post, my guess is that's exactly what they were trying to do, but were hindered by the Dad all up on them screaming and in their way.

Quoting lovehimforever:

my question is why didn't the emt follow safety procedure? she should have been strapped to the gurney before anything else. they have straps for a reason.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM
I was thinking exactly this. They didn't do their jobs, and I think this poor man should be left alone to grieve. Poor family.

Quoting goddess99:

Oh this is awful. smh. and then she falls off the gurney? How the fuck does that happen? Sound like this EMT duo weren't doing their jobs properly. I don't feel the arrests were justified, if anyone should be looked at it's the ETM and their actions during this tragedy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Quoting SlapItHigh:

It's hard to say without knowing the full story.  What a terrible situation for all :(.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Unless you were there to see the scene happening you really can't say.

For starters the dad should have never removed her from the scene. For all the paramedics and police knew the dad could have been the one who shot her and they were trying to protect themselves from a violent person.
Bribriesmom
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM
She should have been secured first or left on the ground while the questions were being asked. Under the circumstances, the father should have been expected to act the way he did and been treated for shock, ptsd afterwards and now he may have a possible just cause lawsuit.
abismommy25
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:24 AM
U r right, we only hear the fathers side.. BUTTT the officials saying that the Emt an officers acted appropriately...Ofcourse they will state that! Bc they do no wrong(sarcasm). Look back at all of the 'after the fact' cases where officers were to found to have used excessive/unessicary(sp?) Force, but yet weren't prosecuted. They just got suspension w pay! An slaps on the wrists. I understand two sided to every story. I have a uncle emt. An a bro in law officer. There should have been a emt an officer distracting/watching out/ getting info while other emt did vital/stabilized an STRAPPED DOWN patient. IMO.

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Yelling and screaming at the people who are there to help and generally getting in their way isn't "trying to save his daughter".  It's interfering with the people who actually are "trying to save his daughter".  If he had gone into a hospital and started screaming at the doctors and staff security would have had him out of there in a heartbeat and he would have likely faced arrest.  This is the same concept.  He was interfering with their efforts and making it difficult to impossible for them to do their job.

Crying out in grief is one thing.  Screaming at caregivers and interfering with their efforts is another.

As I said, I've read a couple of other articles and officials are saying that the EMTs and police acted appropriately, given the situation.  Right now we don't know the whole story, only the Dad's version.

krystyneh
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this!!!

Quoting Jinxed8:

No these arrests were not justified.  I think anyone would be flying off the handle if their child was suffering from a gun shot wound to the face and the EMT dropped her off the gurney.  i am the first one to admit I would have done pretty much the same thing.  In the situation like this , every minute counts, the EMT should have been hauling ass to get her to the closest hospital instead of asking questions. Besides when dispatched believe you me, he was told, gun shot wound to the head ! Who cares how it happened, her life needed saving

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN