Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

So sick of getting mastitus, please help!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 11 Replies
This is my second time with mastitus. Im taking stronger antibiotics for it this time four times a day. I tried everything to prevent is. Im excuslively breastfeeding so i dont pump much if at all. When my lo is finished my breast feels empty so i didnt see the need to pump more afterwards...idk what else to do. Someone please help! How do i prevent thiis mess?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
Yesterday at 5:59 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

bump

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Bump
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Have no clue what that Mastitus is. Sorry. Hopefully some others mom can be of help.

Bribriesmom
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I would try pumping anyway even though you just breast feed. I use to massage my breast after I breastfed and still pumped 6 ounces an hour after I fed her.
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have a La Leche League in your area? Call them. This is what they specialize in.

I've never had mastitis, but I've always been quick to start a schedule with my baby, which means pumping and breastfeeding.

If nothing else, try pumping when baby isn't eating (like the middle of the night feeding that gets cut out first, or the right before you go to bed feeding).

I know antibiotics can be killer on your supply. 

You might also try offering only one breast at a time (per feeding) and having baby empty the breast completely, then offer the other at the next feeding to be sure all the milk is coming out. You might need to keep baby latched on long enough for a 2nd letdown. I've also found it helps me to sort of stimulate my own nipples to make sure I get full letdown (like with the pump).

Just some ideas. Good luck mama.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Try massaging while you nurse or pump. That will help a lot! Nurse, nurse, nurse. Use warm compresses, and massage-get in the shower, with the water as hot as you can get it-let the water run over your breasts, and message them! Express milk, and do this daily if you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:53 AM
And hugs. It's terrible getting mastitis.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:17 AM

bump

whoodathunk
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Contact your La Leche Leage and ask for their recommendations.  I don't recommend pumping after or in addition to breastfeeding as it will throw off your supply and you'll be in a vicious cycle of pumping when you don't need to.  Your breasts should need very little if any maintenance.  

Try only feeding baby on one breast per feeding to try to empty the breast better.  Use warm compresses if you think you have a blocked duct.  If you have cracked or bleeding nipples, use ointment if your doc wishes or some expressed milk.  Clean, dry breast pads will help keep your nipples clean.  

Most women breastfeed with little to no complications.  You'll get through this and things will get easier.  Hang in there!

Junebaby18
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Go to these places and it will help you get rid of mastitis and help it not come back. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/recurrent-mastitis/
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

Sorry it's not clickable as I'm mobile.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN