Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Soup Bone?

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

We bought a quarter cow from a local ranch and in the assortment of cuts we got a soup bone.  I don't know what to do with it.  Obviously- make soup, but how does one make soup from a soup bone?  Anybody done this before and can give me step by step instructions?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
almburr
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM
You slow cook it with veggies and herbs to make stock
neveragain17
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM
When you make your soup put the bone in the pot.. When the broth boils it gets flavor from the bone. Well at lest that's what my grandma says lol
CB3arr
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

So you add the bone to broth or water and the bone makes it broth?

Quoting neveragain17:

When you make your soup put the bone in the pot.. When the broth boils it gets flavor from the bone. Well at lest that's what my grandma says lol

CB3arr
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM

bump

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

You just boil it with all your soup ingredients and it adds a lot of flavor.  I used to buy quarters from a rancher as well and used to get soup bones all the time.  Once your soup is done, the bone will be softer, cool it down and give it to your dog if you have one.  My dog Mandy used to go crazy over those bones!!

bahamamama61
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM
You can put it in with beans, also:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

This.

Quoting Jinxed8:

You just boil it with all your soup ingredients and it adds a lot of flavor.  I used to buy quarters from a rancher as well and used to get soup bones all the time.  Once your soup is done, the bone will be softer, cool it down and give it to your dog if you have one.  My dog Mandy used to go crazy over those bones!!

jett286
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I would use it to make beef stock, which then you can make soup or gravy with.  I don't know the weight of your soup bone but I think you can make a quart of stock with your average soup bone.  

1 Cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced celery

1/2 cup diced carrot

1 quart water

and the soup bone

a few parsely leaves, a bay leaf, clove of garlic.  Bring all ingredients to a boil, then simmer for 4-6 hours on low heat.  Cool and strain the liquid.  Now you have a base for a beef soup, sauce or gravy.  You can do whatever you want with it and you can freeze it to use later too.

Jeanette

"Love is a fabric that never fades, no matter how often it is washed in the waters of adversity and grief". -- Anon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN