Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 month old has 103 fever under the arm, help!

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 28 Replies

My son is 8 months old. he will be 9 months on 10/12/13. he has a 103 fever under the arm. hes been running a fever for the past 24 hours now. i gave him two rounds of tylenol so far, which has brought down the fever to 100. he's very lathargic,fussy and sleeping alot and not wanting to eat or drink. ive got a decent amount of food and liquid into him today, 15oz of formula, and 15 oz of applejuice and 2 jars of baby food. he also has a rash on his chest and back, but that could be from baby eczema which he has had since he was a newborn. i called his 24 hour nurse and she said to call her back if his underarm temperature gets higher than 104, and that he should be seen in the next 24 hours. i have also given him a lukewarm bath, and put cool rags on his head, and have him in only a diaper. it makes me so sad to see him so miserable.is there anything else i can do to soothe him, and should i wait till morning to bring him in like the 24 hour nurse said, or should i take him to the er? im pretty nervous about this because this is my first child, and im only 18 and not very experienced with sick children. also, if it matters at all, he was not a preemie. thanks!

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raczac
by New Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Did you add a degree when y ou took it under his arm?
xsaripevecx
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

no, i didnt. his temperature wouldve been 104 with a degree added.

Jensep
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I would take him in to the ER...but I'm a worry wart, some moms would let him sleep it off...not me! Good luck!!!

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

ER won't do anything but give Tylenol. My son had a 106.9 fever & thats all the did, even tho he was having febrile seizures in the waiting room. 

I'd use a luke warm wash rag on his body to help cool him off a bit & take him to his PCP in the morning. 

Jensep
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

-I woulnt be able to sleep tonight if I were to wait!

raczac
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM
I didn't know until my first was a baby that your supposed to do that and if you take it rectally you take a degree off. I would tske him to the er if it was me.

Keep us posted hope he feels better soon.

Quoting xsaripevecx:

no, i didnt. his temperature wouldve been 104 with a degree added.

lovinmyboys...
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Ibuprofen is better at bringing fevers down, but they do get concerned when there is a rash with a fever.
caligirl7613
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM
take it in the rectum if possible. my dr always said under the arm really is not reliable. give him some meds, if it has not brought it down a bit in an hour or two...off to the er we go
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Have you tried ibprofin or motrin? I can't remember which one it is they reccomend you do every otther dose with tylenol when they are babies. That should help bring it down. Also like pp mentioned try wiping him down with a luke warm rag.   Sadly the ER probably won't do a whole lot. But the rash part with the fever would worry me. 

Hope your LO feels better asap. 

xsaripevecx
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:53 AM

my baby is doing a little better, his temperature went down to 100.7 under the arm(which would be about 101.7) without tylenol. hes less lathargic, drank some applejuice, and has had a wet diaper. also the rash is getting better on his abdomen, ive been applying aveeno baby eczema lotion every 2 hours, and checking on him hourly. im gonna call at 8am to see if the doctor can see him, and if he cant i will either call another doctors office to see if they can get him in, or take him to urgent care or ER. thanks for all the responses!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)