Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Breast feeding advice please!

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM
  • 5 Replies
I am here with my 6 day old daughter and I was wondering... How much time breast feeding equals 35-40ml?
You see, her first appointment with her pediatrician was the day after we left the hospital. At that point my milk hasn't come in and she didn't eat from the breast until that happened. She didn't want to work so hard.
The doctor said I should give we 35-40 ml of milk per feeding. But now my milks in and she's not drinking expressed milk anymore so I don't know what duration is normal. She's eating 20-30 min each time ranging from every hour to every three. Usually 2 hours. Is she eating enough?
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JTE11
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

There is no way to know how much milk she is getting unless you weigh her before and after breastfeeding. My instinct is to say let her nurse as much as she wants until she is satisfied, and that's how you will know she has had enough. If she is satisfied between feedings she is probably getting enough. Let her nurse on demand, as much and often as she wants, because their stomachs are tiny, and they empty out pretty quickly. When she fusses, put her to the breast. At this age she could be spending a lot of time nursing (nursing frequently) and that's normal. But there are much more experienced and knowledgeable moms in the breastfeeding group, I highly recommend you try them over there- they are fabulous!  And congrats on your new LO!

lizard3731
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

There's no real way to know how many ml she's getting.  Just feed her when she seems hungry.  It sounds to me like that's what you're doing.  It also sounds like she's nursing frequently enough.  You can weigh to see if she seems to be gaining weight, but I never did that.  She'll let you know if she's hungry.

newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Sounds like  she's eating enough. Like PP said let her nurse til she's satisfied. Also as long as she's wetting her diapers regularly you shouldn't worry.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

normally when your baby is full she will latch off or stop nursing on her own

there is no way to know how much she is intaking - my daughter only drank for about 20 mins and she was fine

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I agree with all the mamas. Your doing just fine. Good Job mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)