Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Holy spoiled child, batman ! (Birthday woes) edited *SOLUTION FOUND!*

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM
  • 48 Replies

So my DD will be 10 this year and although her Bday is only in January, she's already asking me what the plan is.

I always go a little overkill for her birthdays... because they are so close to the holidays I forfeit getting her birthday presents and instead throw her big birthday parties, with themed, made from scratch, birthday cakes.  she's had :

• 3 years old : Arts & Craft birthday party including painting your own cotton loot bag
  • 4 years old : My little pony party everything themed, decorate your own cookies bar
  • 5 years old : Unicorn party with a real princess (magician) on site
  • 6 years old : Build a bear party 
  • 7 years old : Pizza party
  • 8 years old : bowling Party
  • 9 years old : Cupcakes Party @ a cooking school

I usually invest more or less $250 on her parties.  This year I have found 3 options ...

1. private party at "The Little Gym" near my home where they close down the gym for us 2 hours, includes 2 instructors, games & activities and decorations to our specifications
  2. Party room + rock climbing experience at the local multi sports center including 2 instructors
  3. Cooking school again but the science party where they make experiments including their own silly putty

So I'm telling her this yesterday and she says to me "You know it's my 10th birthday, I want something special" and I'm thinking. Holy Spoiled child of mine, batman !  On the bright side, I"m thinking, there's probably only 1 or 2 more years of this and then Bday parties won't be cool no more ...I know at 12 I was done with all that. 

** UPDATE ** So a client of mine has a DJ business on the side, thanks to this post, and all the suggestions, I had a stroke of genius and contacted him.  A while ago he asked me if I could have T-shirts made for him for his Dj services but his quantities were really small.  I offered to barter ; his services for 1 afternoon for custom T-shirts, he agreed !!  I made a few phone calls and turns out I can rent a community hall good for 30 people near my house for a whopping $48.  I can get the t-shirts wholesale and printed under the table through a friend of mine .  Buy some refreshments, a birthday cake, and DONE !  

My daughter will be having a Private Dance Party with professional DJ services ... how cool is that ??

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kbutton24
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
When I turned 10, my mom rented out the local nail salon for manis and pedis. Didn't cost a ton and my friends and i loved it.
AJsMom81507
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

at 10 the little gym is really young... rock climbing sounds fun, but ask her what she wants.. she is 10

and where do you live that these parties are so cheap.  bowling parties start out at $400 here

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Oh my vote is for the rock climbing, how fun!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

the little gym caters to kids up to 12 - they do activities accordingly.  She went to summer day camp there last summer and had a blast. 

Where I went for the bowling party it's a little privately owned bowling alley, I was shocked how cheap it was ... we had 2 bowling lanes, 12 kids and it included lunch (hot dogs, fries and juice), shoe rental etc.  All I had to do was provide the cake and the party favors.  It was something like $12 per kid !  It was awesome !

Quoting AJsMom81507:

at 10 the little gym is really young... rock climbing sounds fun, but ask her what she wants.. she is 10

and where do you live that these parties are so cheap.  bowling parties start out at $400 here

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Ask her what she wants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought about that ... problem is, I'd like to do a "one shot deal" party where the kids come say 1pm to 3pm and family comes 3pm to 4pm for cake and presents.   So Ultimately I'm looking for a place that has a private room option where I can serve cake and coffee.  I've already thought about the nail salon ... I do that for my niece I bring her for her birthday with DD and they charge me $30 per kid for basic manicure and mini-pedi with design.

Quoting kbutton24:

When I turned 10, my mom rented out the local nail salon for manis and pedis. Didn't cost a ton and my friends and i loved it.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I have .... she wants something "special"   and I'm out of options ! it has tob e something that I can afford, that's not too far and that's convenient for friends and family to come.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Ask her what she wants.

kbutton24
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Oh I see. My mom knew the owner since she went every other week herself do she let us set up a table to do cake and presents. It was a large space.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I thought about that ... problem is, I'd like to do a "one shot deal" party where the kids come say 1pm to 3pm and family comes 3pm to 4pm for cake and presents.   So Ultimately I'm looking for a place that has a private room option where I can serve cake and coffee.  I've already thought about the nail salon ... I do that for my niece I bring her for her birthday with DD and they charge me $30 per kid for basic manicure and mini-pedi with design.

Quoting kbutton24:

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Well I do go to 2 nail places ... and one I know the owners pretty well.  Maybe they would agree.  I've also thought of renting out a reception room at a local restaurant.  Their children menu is super affordable but I'm afraid the kids would get bored a wreak havoc !

Quoting kbutton24:

Oh I see. My mom knew the owner since she went every other week herself do she let us set up a table to do cake and presents. It was a large space.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting kbutton24:

kbutton24
by Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I could see that. Its hard with winter bdays. mine was is Jan as well. What about a mall scavenger hunt? My mom did that one year too. Group the girls in teams of two or three and give them a list of things they need to find and only give them $20 or so to spend. They get to keep what they bought and whoever gets everything on the list under $20 gets a larger prize

Quoting Jinxed8:

Well I do go to 2 nail places ... and one I know the owners pretty well.  Maybe they would agree.  I've also thought of renting out a reception room at a local restaurant.  Their children menu is super affordable but I'm afraid the kids would get bored a wreak havoc !

Quoting kbutton24:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting kbutton24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)