Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Holy spoiled child, batman ! (Birthday woes) edited *SOLUTION FOUND!*

Posted by   + Show Post

So my DD will be 10 this year and although her Bday is only in January, she's already asking me what the plan is.

I always go a little overkill for her birthdays... because they are so close to the holidays I forfeit getting her birthday presents and instead throw her big birthday parties, with themed, made from scratch, birthday cakes.  she's had :

• 3 years old : Arts & Craft birthday party including painting your own cotton loot bag
  • 4 years old : My little pony party everything themed, decorate your own cookies bar
  • 5 years old : Unicorn party with a real princess (magician) on site
  • 6 years old : Build a bear party 
  • 7 years old : Pizza party
  • 8 years old : bowling Party
  • 9 years old : Cupcakes Party @ a cooking school

I usually invest more or less $250 on her parties.  This year I have found 3 options ...

1. private party at "The Little Gym" near my home where they close down the gym for us 2 hours, includes 2 instructors, games & activities and decorations to our specifications
  2. Party room + rock climbing experience at the local multi sports center including 2 instructors
  3. Cooking school again but the science party where they make experiments including their own silly putty

So I'm telling her this yesterday and she says to me "You know it's my 10th birthday, I want something special" and I'm thinking. Holy Spoiled child of mine, batman !  On the bright side, I"m thinking, there's probably only 1 or 2 more years of this and then Bday parties won't be cool no more ...I know at 12 I was done with all that. 

** UPDATE ** So a client of mine has a DJ business on the side, thanks to this post, and all the suggestions, I had a stroke of genius and contacted him.  A while ago he asked me if I could have T-shirts made for him for his Dj services but his quantities were really small.  I offered to barter ; his services for 1 afternoon for custom T-shirts, he agreed !!  I made a few phone calls and turns out I can rent a community hall good for 30 people near my house for a whopping $48.  I can get the t-shirts wholesale and printed under the table through a friend of mine .  Buy some refreshments, a birthday cake, and DONE !  

My daughter will be having a Private Dance Party with professional DJ services ... how cool is that ??

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (41-48):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

OOooh I had another idea ... I hear this company who comes and does demos with reptiles and small animals... I could rent the room on it's own and have someone come and do a demo with animals.  I will offer that to DD as another option !!  I think that's an awesome idea.  Now I just have to find the company and how much this costs ...

RandiBear
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:12 AM

What about a "dance club" theme? For one of my friend's 10th her mom rented out a space and set it up with strobe lights and stuff and then put music on so we could dance. We had a "red carpet" entrance where she took pics of us as we came in (glammed up, per invitation). It was a blast and our drinks were served in martini like cups($1 store) that we got to take home with us. The next year she had a "modeling" party where she took the girls to a studio and they got to "model it out" and all the pics were given on disc then emailed to the parents.

Quoting Jinxed8:

This is what I used to do every year ... 2 parties ; saturday I'd do the kiddy party and on Sunday I'd have my parents, sister and her kids, my best friend (who's her god mother) over for coffee and cake in the afternoon.  But I'm fed up frankly of doing double duty ; two cakes, 2 parties, twice the clean up.   Last year I did the "2 birds, 1 stone" deal and I would ultimately love to do that again.   Worst case I'm thinking kiddy bday party 1 to 4pm followed by dinner @ the restaurant with the family but I ain't doing 2 cakes in 1 day !! 

The best deal so far is the cooking school ... $260 all included - activity, cake and all - private room for 3 to 4 hours.

Second is the rock climbing option $259... 1 hour rock climbing, 2 hour in the private room + cake, dishes, cutlery

Otherwise I can rent a private room for 4 hours, tables, tablecloths,  chairs & clean up is all that's included - $150.  And then I'd have to find something to entertain the kids ... 10 years old is a hard age ... I'm wondering if she's not old enough for just the room, play some music and let the kids do their thing ... ?  Maybe just do an arts & crafts project ?  

Quoting Jenn8604:

lol because special is soooo detailed. Gotta love kids :)

What about some smaller party for friends and cousins. Then an intimate party for the grandparents and immediate family in a nice restaurant where you rent the back room out because she's now 10, a whole decade, double digits, and everyone wears their best clothes.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I have .... she wants something "special"   and I'm out of options ! it has tob e something that I can afford, that's not too far and that's convenient for friends and family to come.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Ask her what she wants.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

A dance party is a possibility !!  Thanks for the idea ... I have a client who's a DJ - maybe he'd do me a favor and give me a reasonable price !!!  The other idea that just dawned on me is a an educational service where they come to birthday parties and show off exotic animals ...  I also found a much cheaper Hall to rent.  A little bit further from my home than the first one but 1/3 of the price !!!  Ppffffffffffff so many ideas ... not sure if giving my daughter so many options is a good thing !

Quoting RandiBear:

What about a "dance club" theme? For one of my friend's 10th her mom rented out a space and set it up with strobe lights and stuff and then put music on so we could dance. We had a "red carpet" entrance where she took pics of us as we came in (glammed up, per invitation). It was a blast and our drinks were served in martini like cups($1 store) that we got to take home with us. The next year she had a "modeling" party where she took the girls to a studio and they got to "model it out" and all the pics were given on disc then emailed to the parents.

Quoting Jinxed8:

This is what I used to do every year ... 2 parties ; saturday I'd do the kiddy party and on Sunday I'd have my parents, sister and her kids, my best friend (who's her god mother) over for coffee and cake in the afternoon.  But I'm fed up frankly of doing double duty ; two cakes, 2 parties, twice the clean up.   Last year I did the "2 birds, 1 stone" deal and I would ultimately love to do that again.   Worst case I'm thinking kiddy bday party 1 to 4pm followed by dinner @ the restaurant with the family but I ain't doing 2 cakes in 1 day !! 

The best deal so far is the cooking school ... $260 all included - activity, cake and all - private room for 3 to 4 hours.

Second is the rock climbing option $259... 1 hour rock climbing, 2 hour in the private room + cake, dishes, cutlery

Otherwise I can rent a private room for 4 hours, tables, tablecloths,  chairs & clean up is all that's included - $150.  And then I'd have to find something to entertain the kids ... 10 years old is a hard age ... I'm wondering if she's not old enough for just the room, play some music and let the kids do their thing ... ?  Maybe just do an arts & crafts project ?  

Quoting Jenn8604:

What about some smaller party for friends and cousins. Then an intimate party for the grandparents and immediate family in a nice restaurant where you rent the back room out because she's now 10, a whole decade, double digits, and everyone wears their best clothes.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I have .... she wants something "special"   and I'm out of options ! it has tob e something that I can afford, that's not too far and that's convenient for friends and family to come.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Ask her what she wants.

RandiBear
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

lol so just pick out your favorites and let her choose. Also, for the dance party...buy sparkling cider. Makes the girls feel extra special and "adult" because it makes them feel like they are drinking an adult drink. My mom did that with me every year for my birthday. We had a glass of sparkling cider together with chocolate covered strawberries. Then on my 13th birthday we started having one small flute of pink champagne to celebrate.

Quoting Jinxed8:

A dance party is a possibility !!  Thanks for the idea ... I have a client who's a DJ - maybe he'd do me a favor and give me a reasonable price !!!  The other idea that just dawned on me is a an educational service where they come to birthday parties and show off exotic animals ...  I also found a much cheaper Hall to rent.  A little bit further from my home than the first one but 1/3 of the price !!!  Ppffffffffffff so many ideas ... not sure if giving my daughter so many options is a good thing !

Quoting RandiBear:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Jenn8604:

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Jenn8604:

Ask her what she wants.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Can't wait to tell DD about this - nothing is booked yet in case she doesn't agree but I doubt very much.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Quoting goddess99:

Oh my vote is for the rock climbing, how fun!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Love your idea! Good for you. Hope she enjoys herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Sounds like a great party!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)