Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Have you ever worried about your kids getting sick?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was reading the open letter that Michelle Obama wrote (it's on the yahoo homepage) about how  every mother deserves piece of mind knowing that their child had health insurance.

Basically it talks about their own experience with health care and the new Obamacare law.

What I took from that article was not the Obamacare sales pitch, but the mothers voice that talked about how sick her child once was.

Whether you are for or against the new healthcare law, I wonder how many moms out there constantly worry about their kids getting sick.

If you have insurance is the worry the same as those who do not have coverage?

Do those without insurance worry more than those who do?

Or do we as moms just worry anyway anytime our kids get sick?

by on Oct. 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Replies (11-14):
MichelleMc
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

We have always had insurance, but we also live in a state that always covers children. I take the article as a sales pitch. It is an "out of the way" way to say, you should be for this, when really a lot of states are already there for kids. I am not for obamacare of course, though so I can read between the lines. 

I think that any parent thinks at some point or another about a major illness when you see kids with cancer or other major illness. Thankfully, that isn't something I had to deal with for my child as a child. He never had any major illnesses & really was never a child kid at all. Now as my son is now an adult, he also has insurance on his own.

fudgybuddymom
by Linda on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I think we worry anytime our kids get sick but have to say it must be harder for mothers who do not have insurance for their kids. A lot of ppl bash those of us on medicaid but I know I have more peace of mind knowing I have it when Molly gets sick.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM

We are all covered with my husbands private insurence through his work. We also have Indian Care. We are covered here

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:11 AM

My boys are generally healthy so illness isn't a huge concern.  They have insurance throught he stat so cost is generally not a huge concern either.  Generally I am not afraid of illness I know when a fever is too high, lasting too long or not responding to treatment.  I know when a cough doesn't sound right, how my kids act with an ear infection, whena suspected virus has lingered a bit too long.  I don't fuss with hand sanitizers or aoid sick people like the paluge.  In general.

Right now though I am being super cautious and I am worried abot my 3 yo(on the 10th) getting sick.  He is going in on the 15th for heart surgery and getting sick would most likely force a delay in his surgery.  So I am making hi wear a mask around anyone sick, as well as asking them to.  Having him wear a mask in public places, lots of hand washing, bathing him and changing him after exposure to anyone outside our family and using hand sanitizer.  All in an effort to keep him from getting sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN