Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!! How do you get rid of fruit flies?

Posted by   + Show Post

They are driving me crazy!

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Thank you so much for this!

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting Janet:

Here's some info from Orkin:
http://www.orkin.com/flies/fruit-fly/

Fruit Fly Control

It is extremely difficult to rid a home of the common fruit fly. Fruit flies are attracted to sugary, organic materials. As their name suggests, they are commonly found infesting fruit. However, fruit flies are also capable of breeding in decaying meat, trash bins and large spills of soda or alcohol. Any fruit brought home following that should be stored in the refrigerator if appropriate. Regularly wipe counters, clean spills and empty your trash cans to help prevent fruit fly infestations.

The first step in addressing a fruit fly infestation is the destruction of their feeding and breeding grounds. Fruit flies often lay their eggs in rotten fruit and other soft, sweet, organic materials. If you identify a fruit fly infestation in your kitchen, dispose of all over-ripe or damaged fruit. Any subsequently purchased fruit or vegetables should be kept in the refrigerator until the fruit fly infestation dissipates.

If there is no fruit or vegetable matter in your kitchen, check your garbage and recycling bins. Fruit flies may also use unclean drains as breeding grounds. Outdoor drains are likely sources of yard-based fruit flies, as are overripe fruits beneath the trees from which they have fallen.

After isolating the fly breeding ground, control methods may be utilized. Although eradication may require several treatments, the lack of food available to fly populations will eventually cause them to die out.

Other Ways to Get Rid of Fruit Flies in Home

Bacterial digesters are available to pour down infested drains. Bleach can sometimes be effective; although it is rarely stays in the drain long enough to address the accumulated slime that attracts fruit flies. While not effective at eliminating an infestation, fruit fly traps may provide temporary relief by trapping some of the adults.

- See more at: http://www.orkin.com/flies/fruit-fly/#sthash.piO8wXk9.dpuf

callmemaybe
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Here's a sure-fire and easy solution!  I use this all the time.

In a small container--I  use a ramekin--put about 1/4 cup or so of red wine vinegar.  Add a drop of liquid dishwashing liquid and set the container near your fruit flies.  (For me, that's by my fruit basket!)

The flies will be attracted to the vinegar and drown themselves (because of the detergent).

This always works for me, usually overnight.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Thanks!

Quoting callmemaybe:

In a small container--I  use a ramekin--put about 1/4 cup or so of red wine vinegar.  Add a drop of liquid dishwashing liquid and set the container near your fruit flies.  (For me, that's by my fruit basket!)

The flies will be attracted to the vinegar and drown themselves (because of the detergent).

celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
I use apple cider vinegar, otherwise, the same!
You can put saran wrap on the top of it, and poke holes in it. That helps.

Quoting callmemaybe:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for this!

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting Janet:

Here's some info from Orkin:
http://www.orkin.com/flies/fruit-fly/

Fruit Fly Control

It is extremely difficult to rid a home of the common fruit fly. Fruit flies are attracted to sugary, organic materials. As their name suggests, they are commonly found infesting fruit. However, fruit flies are also capable of breeding in decaying meat, trash bins and large spills of soda or alcohol. Any fruit brought home following that should be stored in the refrigerator if appropriate. Regularly wipe counters, clean spills and empty your trash cans to help prevent fruit fly infestations.

The first step in addressing a fruit fly infestation is the destruction of their feeding and breeding grounds. Fruit flies often lay their eggs in rotten fruit and other soft, sweet, organic materials. If you identify a fruit fly infestation in your kitchen, dispose of all over-ripe or damaged fruit. Any subsequently purchased fruit or vegetables should be kept in the refrigerator until the fruit fly infestation dissipates.

If there is no fruit or vegetable matter in your kitchen, check your garbage and recycling bins. Fruit flies may also use unclean drains as breeding grounds. Outdoor drains are likely sources of yard-based fruit flies, as are overripe fruits beneath the trees from which they have fallen.

After isolating the fly breeding ground, control methods may be utilized. Although eradication may require several treatments, the lack of food available to fly populations will eventually cause them to die out.

Other Ways to Get Rid of Fruit Flies in Home

Bacterial digesters are available to pour down infested drains. Bleach can sometimes be effective; although it is rarely stays in the drain long enough to address the accumulated slime that attracts fruit flies. While not effective at eliminating an infestation, fruit fly traps may provide temporary relief by trapping some of the adults.

- See more at: http://www.orkin.com/flies/fruit-fly/#sthash.piO8wXk9.dpuf

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bonita131
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM

No pest stips are okay but they take time to work plus they give off a chemical smell. I've been using sticky sticks for plants & they work like a charm. I put a small cup or glass with a piece of styro jammed in the cup, pour a bit of apple cider vinegar on the styro then push the sticky stick in the styro. The vinegar atracks the fruit flies & they end up getting stuck to the sticky stick. I've been using sticky sticks in my greenhouse plants for years & only recently realized they'd be perfect for fruit flies in my kitchen as well. They look like this and you should be able to find them at any nursery or store that sells house & garden plants.

EarlGrayHot
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Then they may be drain flies rather than fruit flies.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Never heard of these.

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

Then they may be drain flies rather than fruit flies.

pwaldschmidt
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM
I got one of those sticky mouse trap things and placed it over a cup of old juice and within 2-3 hours that thing was full of flies. I've also done the dawn thing and it works
Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

That sounds like a good idea.

Quoting pwaldschmidt:

I got one of those sticky mouse trap things and placed it over a cup of old juice and within 2-3 hours that thing was full of flies. I've also done the dawn thing and it works

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)