Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Grandpa, School & Doctor Mix Up One Child With Another & No One Notices?!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 7 Replies

Grandpa, School & Doctor Mix Up One Child With Another & No One Notices?!

by Adriana Velez

grandchildSo the other day when I went to pick up my son from the bus stop, lo and behold, he did not get off the bus. I called the school right away and found out that he was still there and had not been kidnapped by the circus (phew), but thanks to this misunderstanding, I now had to go and pick him up. That was a little stressful, but after reading this story,  it's quite clear how minor this little incident was. Here is a grandfather who picked up the wrong little girl from school, took her to the doctor, and sent her home with medication. THE WRONG KID ALL THE WAY.

How many childcare fails do you need for this to happen? It's like none of the adults in this story had ever laid eyes on the child.

1. Grandpa picks up the wrong kid. Scary, but understandable. Perhaps he has dementia -- he's in his 70s. Maybe he's hiding his degenerative state, or maybe the girl's parents know but are desperate for childcare.

2. School administrators/teachers let her go. So Grandpa shows up to take his granddaughter to the doctor, and the staff brings him the wrong child. To be fair, the two girls had the same name and were in the same grade. But still, if you're excusing a kid from your class to go off with another adult, don't you think it would behoove you to make sure you're not sending off the wrong Sally? The poor girl, whose parents say she's shy, was terribly confused and couldn't bring herself to speak up and ask why a stranger was taking her to the doctor when she wasn't sick.

3. The doctor treated the wrong kid. Does your child's pediatrician recognize your child? My doctor's practice is large, and we only go for checkups once a year. I don't think our pediatrician would recognize my son. Still, this little girl was handed medication (I don't think she'd actually taken it). How did that even happen? Were the meds based on her exam -- the exam of an otherwise perfectly well child? WTF?

So imagine what happens when this little girl comes home and informs her parents that some old guy picked her up, took her to a doctor, and gave her this medicine here in this bag. You would freak the eff out, right? The girl's father said:

I went ballistic. I was boiling inside. The first thing I thought was the worst. I had to ask my daughter the sort of questions no parent ever wants to ask: 'Did he do this, did he do that?'

Ugh, I can just imagine. What a mess. At least she hadn't actually taken the meds yet.

Meanwhile, the school administration is investigating the incident so they can find out how this happened. "I have also spoken with the mother of this child to offer our sincere apologies over this regrettable incident and to assure her that we are reviewing all our safeguarding policies – with the help of the council – to ensure this never happens again," says head teacher Zerina Slade.

Anyway, maybe this is a good time for all to re-think our safety measures. Is there more than one kid with your child's name in the classroom? Who do you talk to when your child has a doctor's appointment? Have you had that important conversation with your child -- the one that goes something like, "If a strange old man says he's supposed to take you to the doctor, please, say NO"? This poor little girl must have had one terribly confusing day.

Can you imagine this ever happening to your child?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I can't imagine this happening to my dd. She has a unique name, because of my school involvements everyone knows her and me, and my dd never stops talking no matter what, so she would have spoke up, she's not shy.

Very scary though.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

My biggest baffle here is how did Grand-pa not realize he had the wrong child???  holy shit snacks !  I mean come on !  I mean if the man is that senile I would NOT let him pick up my child from school, let alone drive her around and bring her to a medical exam !

This would not happen to my DD either.  I am very ANAL about school pick ups and at her old school they very well knew who I was and who's mother I was.  My biggest fear was that my X-In laws would try to pick her up from school one of these days.  They had strict instructions NEVER to let her leave unless I specifically called it in. The same goes for her current school.  She is to be on the bus EVERY DAY with no exception.  There is a VERY short 3 person list of who is allowed to pick her up from school ; ME, My mother and DH that's it, that's all.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM
That would scare me. My dd was on the wrong bus on the 2nd day of school and on the 4th day was at school all day til 7pm because I was told that a bunch of kids got on the wrong bus and she wasn't at the school when she really was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 8, 2013 at 5:39 PM

That is scary.

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Yesterday at 4:52 PM
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Crazy!

celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Yeah, I was wondering how he didn't know he had the wrong kid? And how did the kid not say something-like, you're not my grandpa?

Quoting Jinxed8:

My biggest baffle here is how did Grand-pa not realize he had the wrong child???  holy shit snacks !  I mean come on !  I mean if the man is that senile I would NOT let him pick up my child from school, let alone drive her around and bring her to a medical exam !

This would not happen to my DD either.  I am very ANAL about school pick ups and at her old school they very well knew who I was and who's mother I was.  My biggest fear was that my X-In laws would try to pick her up from school one of these days.  They had strict instructions NEVER to let her leave unless I specifically called it in. The same goes for her current school.  She is to be on the bus EVERY DAY with no exception.  There is a VERY short 3 person list of who is allowed to pick her up from school ; ME, My mother and DH that's it, that's all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
It is!

Quoting johnny4ever:

Crazy!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)