Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Potty Training Nightmare....

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 9 Replies
My 23mth old son has been showing interest in potty training for a while now. He has actually used the potty a couple of times already. My problem is that I cant get him off the potty. He would sit there all day if I let him. I have removed him from the bathroom kicking and screaming many times. I have tried to bring the potty chair into the living room to make it easier for me to watch him and my 3mth old at the same time. The problem with that is he likes to take the thing apart. Even though I clean it after use, I'm still not happy about it being slung all over my living room.So, what do I do ??? Do I continue to give him a set amount of potty time and remove him from bathroom in a rage??? Help!!!
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

That's an interesting problem, Idk what I would do. Is he actually trying to go potty the whole time he's sitting there or is he playing, reading, etc? I would probably just let him sit with the potty in the bathroom. I would think after a while that would get boring and he'd come out on his own..?

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Is he taking the potty apart?
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

bump

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM

DD would sit for what seemed like forever right before she trained. I just let her be. I rather her be on it than off it if she is going to go.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Quoting splatz:

DD would sit for what seemed like forever right before she trained. I just let her be. I rather her be on it than off it if she is going to go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I agree that I would let it be. Why not let your child become comfortable with it? When its time, you'll know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverthreads
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I think I would let him be because it is going to be confusing that you want him to use it but you take him away from it.  Can you tape it together or something so it can not come apart?  Or buy another that is one piece?  Look into those possibilities.  Stay calm and positive.  GL

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I would take it away from him after a set period of time. You really don't want him to use it as a play thing.  At 23 months it's still fairly young to be potty trained (yes I know some super moms will claim their kid was diaper free at 13 months) and evidently not ready.  Sometimes it's worth waiting a little bit longer (2.5 years old) and they go fom diapers to underwear overnight.  That's how it happened for my DD. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM

If your uncomfortable letting him taking it apart. Buy one of those one piece ones. They recommend letting them play with the chair before you actually potty train them to get them used to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN