Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How do you? Edit , still need advice if you can give it.

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM
  • 13 Replies
I have a three yr old that started biting his older brother and granddad at about twenty months. Here's the catch: it isn't out of anger or frustration.

It's literally a " love bite" he'll go and hug on them and then bite.... HARD. My older son ( 14 years old) forgot the all important " don't bite me, Ry" and my little one bit him stomach so hard he almost drew blood! :-/ there is still a red mark on him and he was close to tears.

I'm not big on the " bite back" scenario, but I'm almost there, at this point. My mom says it's a behavior left over from the oral phase they go through with pacis, thumbs, bottles, etc, but idk... He only bites those two people.... The two people who rough house with him. Could that be it? Thinks he's playing? Surely he's bit his tongue or cheek by now and knows the pain!

However, he does slobber on his hand frequently, sucking and lightly chewing on his fingers. (yeah, I'm working on stopping this)

I'm more worried and getting downright angry at the biting! I know how to handle aggressive biting.... But this seems to be a different animal. I can't get a good vibe on what discipline to take. At the moment, I'm attempting a reversal on the "time out" idea by telling him " okay, you hurt brother. He has to go to his room and try and feel better for awhile. You hurt him, he doesn't want to play with you now" and something similar with my dad ( which is more difficult)

The chomp seems like genuine affection.... But ladies, IT CANNOT CONTINUE. My high school son loves to love his brother despite the age difference, but seriously, he's now plain scared of a child he towers over!

Please help unravel this puzzle. The family would be grateful.

EDIT: Tonight hit bit his brother on the finger. I flipped again fussed and directed my attention to his brother ( who was trying to make an excuse for him, but I could see red eyes forming) the LO comes over and says " I bite my own finger" with a sad look on his face. Sure enough, his finger is red and slobbery. Now, this does not change the fact he bit.... But what should I have said?
I didn't say anything to him about biting himself, but I did say, " I'm glad you feel bad about biting again, but apologies only count if you don't do it again" this is statement I truly believe in"
What else? Can't be too long, he'll check out.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:02 AM

bump

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

If he associates roughness and pain with those two people that's the way he can participate and hurt them back. But yeah drawing blood is not good. They might have to at least threaten with the "you bite me, I'll bite you back" . Good luck, I don't know.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Bump
splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Hmmm I honestly don't know. The fact that he isn't doing it with a mean intent makes it hard. I hope someone is able to give you some good advice! 

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Bump
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Thanks, me too... Bump as much as I can! :-)

Quoting splatz:

Hmmm I honestly don't know. The fact that he isn't doing it with a mean intent makes it hard. I hope someone is able to give you some good advice! 

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Bump
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Not sure...maybe check with your drs./pediatrician.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I would tell him not to bite. That it hurts people. Then put him in timeout if he continues to disobey you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)