Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

does religon matter in friendships?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 44 Replies

A few years ago a lady showed up at our house trying to, idk what the words is, but trying to get people to go to their church and switch to their religon? I cant even rember what religon it was. I made it clear then that I wasnt intrested, but our kids are all about the same age so we kind of clicked right away. Ever since, when we run into each other grocery shopping, we stop and talk. Today we ran into eachother taking the kids to school. She's really nice and easy to talk to. I have very little female friends. The other moms at school kind of have their own clicks that i'm not apart of. I just dont click well with other women. Would it be weird if i asked her to coffee one of these times after we take the kids to school? Do you think our strong diffrence in religon would be a issue? Lol, agian i am new at this woman friend thing, i have no idea what to do.

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellysparkles
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm atheist and most of my friends are not.  I don't think it matters, but I've had a few people end friendships because I don't believe in god.  

I've ended one friendship because of a person's pushy views.  She would intentionally leave brochures in my car and talk about her church a lot.  The final straw was when she gave out my address to her pastor who showed up at my door and wouldn't take my, "No, I'm not interested," seriously.  I had to call the police on him.

luvnature
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

to be honest, religion has absolutely NOTHING to do with friendship and if people only make friends with same religion people, that just mean those people are rather narrow minded people and are really not worth my time. I am married to a man who is not the same religion as me. the only thing that really makes me angry and is a good reason to never start a friendship or end a friendship is when people get extra pushy. I'm Roman Catholic, my dh is United Protestant and my kids don't belong to any religion, they are not even baptised since both me and my dh believe it is their choices to decide which religion they want to be part of and not ours. I don't care which religion my friends belong to, what really matters is how they are in their hearts towards me and my family and if we get along just fine I'm happy and could care less what they believe in. 

MichelleMc
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I have friends of many religions, almost hitting them all I swear ( minus Atheist ). I have a VERY strong Penecostal ( Has to wear skirts, can't cut her hair, etc ) to Jewish skirts & something covering her head, to Catholic ( some going to blessing of the everything to just going to church here & there ), Protestants ( From mega church go er's & quoting scripture to just are but don't go to church & everywhere in between ). A number of Wiccan Friends & a Pagan friend. One that is going as Hedge Witch. Some that aren't sure where they fall in the "Christan guidelines" But are. Some that believe in a higher power but not sure what. 

I think that if you can respect each other, that is all that matters. I would go for it, if she tries to "convert" you, just be open that look, I would love a friendship, but I am not coming to your religion so I would rather we keep that out of it. If she can great, if she can't, just stop the friendship. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I think it's fine , and the frienship should be fine as long as religion doesn't come up !  I make it a point to try not to discuss religion or politics with people there are so many other subjects to talk about !!!!!!!!!!

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

The two girlfriends I do have are both religious, attend church. I'm atheist, no one cares.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My best friend is Pentecostal and she attends church faithfully. I don't practice any religion. She doesn't care.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

She doesn't try to push her religion on me either. When hanging out with her you wouldn't know she is Pentecostal sometimes.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Friendship is about respect so as long as you two respect each other than you should not have a problem. You don't even have to bring up religion in your conversation unless you are interested in her beliefs and want to know more about it. You chat about what you have in common and that would be having kids and being a mother.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM

For me, I try not to let it bother me...and just respect our differences.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so. If she is the kind of person you really want to be friends with she won't judge you based on religion. At least that is my opinion. :)  You just have to have a mutual respect for each others choices & personal beliefs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)