Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Parents Allow 6-Year-Old to Legally Change His Gender

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

Parents Allow 6-Year-Old to Legally Change His Gender

by Ericka Sóuter

genderMost of us can't imagine what it's like to be born into a gender that just doesn't feel right. Being transgender must be one of the toughest things a person could face. So I've always felt strongly that adults who experience this should have the right to choose which gender they want to live as. But should the same right be afforded to a young child? A 6-year-old Argentinian boy has been granted a new birth certificate saying he is female. And I just wonder if that is too young to make such a huge decision.

The boy, born Manuel, has been dressing as a little girl since age 4 and prefers to be called Lulu. This is the first time a minor has been able to reassign their sex under the country's gender-identity law. Previously, only adults have changed their names and sexes without needing a judge or doctor approval. And now that a child has done so, it sets a groundbreaking precedent.

This entire issue is frightening to me, to be honest. I hate the thought of a little boy or girl feeling that they were born into the wrong body. For a period of time, they must feel so anguished, so alone, so misunderstood. It's heartbreaking. So I am relieved that more and more communities are understanding of transgender issues and allowing them to be who they truly are. So I am very much supportive of a young person being able to choose how to dress and act if they don't want to conform to gender roles.

However, being able to legally reassign your gender is a big decision for a small child to make. At that age, a day with them can easily be an emotional roller coaster. They can’t even control their tantrums. So how can we let them legally change their gender when they have so much emotional maturing yet to do. I would even understand letting a pre-teen or teen make that decision, but 6 seems just too young.

At what age do you think a child is mature enough to make this decision? Why?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I saw another article/story about a gender change in childhood....not sure about a specific age...

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM

That's just crazy!

MichelleMc
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I think 6 is a bit young. I mean that just really seems very young to know anything about sexual orientation to me. All for a parent being supportive, I just think this is a little too far. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM

This seems way too young to me. Maybe mid teen years. 16+

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Janet:

That's just crazy!

I agree!

JamieBue38
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I don't think they have a full grasp on it yet at that age. Maybe once they hit puberty, pre-teen/teenagers?

Pammi86
by Pamela on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I think at 18 bc I really think they need to experience a lot more to be sure and def not at 6!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN