Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My mil

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 4 Replies

So let me just give you the background on my mil! Her and her mother raised my dh because when he was three his parents divorced and his dad basically stopped bothering with him. Well when I met my dh he was living with his grandmother still and working part time at Kohls! After 6 months together he proposed. Now about a month into the relationship I had met his mother and grandmother bc they are a big part of his life which to me was fine! They seemed to like that I was pushing him to do better but they also wanted to make sure that I knew they expected to still play a role in his life which again fine by me bc I am very close to my family! However they had stupid rules for him like he had to be in by 11pm at night! He could not stay with me at my parents or heck even at a friends overnight or there would be hell to pay! They just gave him rules like a child would have and he was 24 years old! I mean I understand being respectful but seriously! I told him how I felt but did not expect him to go against his family by any means. About a week after we got engaged I threw him a surprise birthday party at my parents with all our close friends and family! He left early stating he was sick but I later found out he left bc his bestfriend called stating his mother showed up at his house trying to get him (Dan is the bestfriend) to talk Jimmy (my dh) out of marrying me! She had no good excuse other than she wanted to be in charge of him! I was livid when I found this out from Dans wife. Dan and her told Jimmys mother it was not her place and they would not do that! Jimmy begged me not to tell his mom I knew about this so I did not and let it go. Our marriage started out rough bc she was always wanting to control it. Finally I put my foot down and told her to mind her own business and about 3 months after we got engaged he moved in with me at my parents which really took a toll of his relationship with his mom and grandmother. They got over it as time passed and by the time our daughter came around I felt like my relationship with them turned around and was great! Well last May we had our son and she made it clear she was not happy about that! Jimmy was an only child so when we got prego again she wasn't very supportive. She feels like our 2 year old daughter does not get the right attention now and should have been an only child which is crap! Not true at all! So she has come around to our son and treats him good but brings up a lot that our dd needs more attention. Now we have days where we just do things with her and besides she LOVES her brother! They are beyond equal! Now my mil is trying to control things again and says things like we should move into the apartment complex where she lives. She is always complaining about our money situation which is frankly none of her business! We make it and do ok! When we tell her we cant afford that complex she says figure it out but hello you complain about our money but then think its ok to go broke as long as we live there! What!?! The complex also won't take our pets so she says give them up! I am like is she for real! They are part of the family! I just do not get it! When Liv was born she changed and was more part of the family and let us run our lives and backed off which gave us a great relationship! Now since Mason came along she is back to being a witch about everything! Some people I swear! I am trying to find a happy medium bc I know family is important. I have tried talking to her but she is just blah about everything! She is driving me nuts and I am about to lose my mind! I am sorry this is so long but I needed to get things out there! I mean heck my dh tried to reconnect with his dad who btw is still a moron but ya know she made him feel bad about that! She makes that relationship impossible for my dh to have! I get he was not there and my dh makes it clear his mom was! His dad is always complaining it was her fault he gave up which is again crap bc if you want your kid you fight! But I get it and I do not think he is lying bc I am sure she made it almost impossible for him.

by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Your mil sounds like a royal biotch. I hope you can figure out a way to get rid of her, she's just toxic. You're dh is going to have to say something.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM

She has become a royal pain my my rump lol! I try to hard and she always makes jokes that I rule the household but I think shes just jealous bc she no longer does! We disagree a lot but my dh just will not grow a pair when it comes to her bc he hates conflict! I am just sick of her crap!

Quoting goddess99:

Your mil sounds like a royal biotch. I hope you can figure out a way to get rid of her, she's just toxic. You're dh is going to have to say something.

MichelleMc
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like for sure your DH is going to have to for sure stand up to her. She will continue until he does. She is beyond controlling & he needs to take the control back. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, I think there's some jealousy there too. He should really try to stand up for his family. Good luck hun!

Quoting Pammi86:

She has become a royal pain my my rump lol! I try to hard and she always makes jokes that I rule the household but I think shes just jealous bc she no longer does! We disagree a lot but my dh just will not grow a pair when it comes to her bc he hates conflict! I am just sick of her crap!

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)