Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

getting married

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 33 Replies
I am in a serious relationship and I love him very much. I have no interest in getting married. We have been together for 3 years and I am happy. I don't want my SO to spend money on me for a ring when I would rather our children get what they need or stuff for our house. Is it odd that I feel this way? How can I explain this to people who are so annoyed by the fact I never want to get married?
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I never wanted to get married either but then I met a guy from another country and we didn't have a choice. Best thing to ever happen to me. Do what makes you happy, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I wasnt to interested in being married or having any kids...Hubby talked me into both!lol

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Honestly, I still haven't found a way to explain that to other people lol. We have been together 4 1/2 years now. If it happens eventually.. fine. But I just really don't want to. I don't think everyone realizes its not as important to everyone. 

kacfl816
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I feel like its just a piece of paper and he started saying it too. We are happy. Weddings are soo expensive. I just rather spend that money for our family lol
aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Do what makes you happy. You could alway go to the JP if you want to get married but don't want the huge exspense.

RaisinGirl78
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Meh, just smile and say 'I'm not trying to land him. I'm just using him for sex'. lol 

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Do what makes you happy.

Mommy4000
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Getting married was never on my bucket list. I just didn't find it important. Being married wasn't the issue, but the whole production of the ceremony and reception just isn't my thing. I married my husband 6 years into our relationship because it was important to him, and it was something he just wasn't going to let go off. Nothing's changed.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

As long as he isn't worried about it either I wouldn't stress honestly. Just let people say/think what they want. They will do that no matter what anyways lol

Quoting kacfl816:

I feel like its just a piece of paper and he started saying it too. We are happy. Weddings are soo expensive. I just rather spend that money for our family lol

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

The only way I can think of is for to provide people with logical reasons.  The ring explanation doesn't really work because you can get married with a 25 cent plastic ring.  No one has to spend a lot of money on a ring in order to get married.  I think it's normal to be curious why someone wouldn't want to marry their partner.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN